Whatbird Community

Semipalmated Sandpiper, Western Sandpiper, or a / ?

Hi, 

I went out this morning to search for a rare Semipalmated Sandpiper that was spotted yesterday at this location. This was the only bird that might have been it. I don’t see any strong rufous tones on the bird’s plumage, the bill shape and length looks decent for SESA, but the photo quality leaves a lot to be desired. This is my only photo of the bird. I’m fine leaving this as a /, but a, wondering if this is identifiable. Thanks! Today, Orange County, Ca. 
7E04E2F3-E797-4794-81BA-745E6746BB82.thumb.jpeg.dcbd3c33cdfa33590441ef78b5a011c3.jpeg

Tough call based on this photo. Plumage looks good for a Semi but the bill seems pretty long. Personally I’d lean to Western but not sure

Its almost always possible to find a couple Westerns in the flock that look like they might be a Semi, but then when you see a Semi it does stand out significantly more.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Fwiw, here’s a photo my friend sent me today of a juv Western with dull plumage and a straight-ish looking bill. 

Least in rear, Western in middle, Semipalmated in foreground

BCAE5699-F7CF-4379-A275-0AA0097CADAF.jpeg
Notice the tiny bit of red in scapulars and the bill length of the Western. You have to get a pretty good look to be sure, that red could easily be hidden especially with poor views

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Fwiw, here’s a photo my friend sent me today of a juv Western with dull plumage and a straight-ish looking bill. 

To me, the Semipalmated Sandpiper in this photo looks more like IKLIand's photo than the western or least. 

24 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Notice the tiny bit of red in scapulars and the bill length of the Western. You have to get a pretty good look to be sure, that red could easily be hidden especially with poor views

Thanks. I’ll leave it as a / for now. 

• Like 1