Whatbird Community

Top 100

Kevin

11 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

That's the power of rural counties. It takes 250 exactly to break into the top 100 where in my county in California.

I don't have it as easy as Kevin, because it really isn't that rural here, however it's still relatively easy. In California the competition has to be tough because it has the most eBirders of any state in the US and some counties can be pretty populous. Then again, the population in California is not evenly distributed, so of course some rural counties will be easier to break.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Then again, the population in California is not evenly distributed,

Isn't that the case with most states, with the majority of the population in the cites?

3 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

so of course some rural counties will be easier to break.

You could break the top 100 in most non-costal counties in California. However getting in the top 5 would be difficult even in the rural counties due to the county birders.

• Like 3

Just now, Connor Cochrane said:

Isn't that the case with most states, with the majority of the population in the cites?

That's right, I guess it's the same in NYS as well, with about 40 percent of the population living in and around long island and NYC. Down in the city, New York County's 100th top birder has seen 178 species in that county.

On 3/2/2021 at 7:11 AM, chipperatl said:

Species 2021/All-time

World - 18,603/29,260

U.S. - 9,642/13,968

Michigan - 87/396

County - 1/1

Here is how great quantity-wise my year has gone.  

World - 16,807 (+1796)/31,065 (-1805)

U.S. - 9,898 (-256)/14,933 (-965)

Michigan - 239 (-152)/402 (-6)

County - 1/1

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

I have a question, How come in the top 100 it shows me as having 1 complete checklist and 16 species when on my eBird profile it shows 8 checklists and 86 species?

Profile:

profileebird.png.4dd259ba964d71bfeac4f590c9fc460d.png

Top 100:

16sp.png.60cd68de14e6fe190a866e3decc80cda.png

Likely due to the taxonomy update that is in progress

eBird data are currently being updated as a part of eBird’s 2021 Taxonomy Update. It is normal to see life list numbers change this week and to see some names displaying inconsistently as the changes are applied. If you see any unexpected behaviors in eBird, please check again after 20 August and write to us if you’re still seeing something unexpected after that date.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

I have a question, How come in the top 100 it shows me as having 1 complete checklist and 16 species when on my eBird profile it shows 8 checklists and 86 species?

Profile:

Top 100:

When did you submit those checklists? eBird only updates the top 100 every few days so if you submitted them within the time frame sense the last refresh they won't show up.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, PalmWarbler said:

Profile:

Top 100:

The filter is set to only in 2021.  That it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PalmWarbler said:

A while ago

No, all my checklists are from this year.

It's because you only have one checklist submitted from Middlesex County, and you were viewing the top 100 for that county. If you change counties or view the ranking for Massachusetts the checklist and species numbers will change. 

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

It's because you only have one checklist submitted from Middlesex County, and you were viewing the top 100 for that county. If you change counties or view the ranking for Massachusetts the checklist and species numbers will change. 

Duh, of course! ? Thanks!! :)

Edited by PalmWarbler

Let's see, the county I live in, I'm #14 right now, but I also have kind of neglected birding my home county this year. I've been birding a lot more in the county south of here, and I'm #2 in that one for the year. ( @HamRHeadis #1, as that's his home county.) For all time for county, I'm 12th in home county, and 8th in the one south.

State of Georgia: currently I'm #21 for the year. There was a fun period of a day or two where Liam was #1, and I was #2 after our New Year's Day big day.

For grins, I looked up US-#3,173 for the year. ?

Edit-and actually I looked up World, and for this year I'm only #6,228! I think that's not too shabby, actually.

Edited by meghann
  • Like 8