Whatbird Community
Jim W

new species? - RuddyRedRing Duck

This one has been baffling me.  Probably a juvenile something-or-other, but Nat Geo seems pretty useless for juvenile ducks.  I've attached several pictures.  These were taken on three different days (late Aug), so they may not be the same bird or even type of bird.  But they were all taken in the same small pond in Banff NP.  Merlin says Ring-necked, with Redhead and Ruddy as alternatives.  My confusion:

• Ring-necked:  Head shape looks good (peaked) in a couple of pictures and the bill shape seems OK.  However, Ring-necked are supposed to have a white eyering, a white band behind the bill and a white stripe and black tip on the bill.  I see a hint of white behind the bill.  But no eyering and the bill coloring seems off.
  • Redhead: Redhead bills look more scooped than my pictures.  Redhead has a black tip on the bill that is missing here.  Redhead is medium brown, these seem darker.
  • Ruddy Duck:  Out of range (but not too far).  Ruddy bills look more scooped than my pictures.  Ruddy's dark cap extends down and includes the eyes.  On these ducks, the eye is below the cap.
  • Scaup?:  Not on the Merlin list, but the head and bill shape look pretty good.  However, I can't find any scaup pictures with this much white spread across the face.
  • Bufflehead?  Bill looks too big.

I think Ring-necked is the best fit, but the missing white stripe on the bill and missing eyering are bothering me.

Appreciate any help, thanks in advance!

PS.  OK, I realize I did not discover a new species.  But if I had, would I get to name it?  If so, I would call it "Shootmenow". 😁

8/26:

921230800_DSC01693large.thumb.jpg.c691bcedf3478ae3eea78a23fece5ea6.jpg

1820769362_DSC01697large.thumb.jpg.7b51970bec08b73e29a7dba8361344bb.jpg

2048371553_DSC01708large.thumb.jpg.f05eff6a9da959e6f658f97f7f61b037.jpg

8/27:

408936719_DSC02242large.thumb.jpg.5bc50962abeb3711ffc3ee79be0c8b2f.jpg

8/29:  Maybe not too much help, but I like the picture.

1910892447_DSC02973large.thumb.jpg.ca8ca197afc2c3c74558f666eafcbb15.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim W said:

PS.  OK, I realize I did not discover a new species.  But if I had, would I get to name it?  If so, I would call it "Shootmenow". 😁

Thanks for the chuckle.  :classic_laugh:

These photos might have to go somewhere else. Nothing against Whatbird of course, but nobody seems to know 🙂

@Jim W are you on Facebook?

Okay. If not, I would suggest posting it to the group "What's this Bird" from the ABA.

Ben was kind enough to respond.  He says they are 4 week old Ring-necked Duck ducklings.  Sfinmt, thanks for the link.

Akiley, thanks for the tip on the ABA group.  I'll look for that for future use.

• Like 2