Difficulties while birding. 

Nuisances when birding.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Bugs.

2. 2. Dangerous Animals

• Bear
    • Alligator
    • Puma
    • Other large and possibly dangerous animal.
    • No problem at all in this category.
  3. 3. People/other

On 8/16/2022 at 12:07 PM, Aveschapines said:

Many/most people here let their dogs roam freely and there are a number of feral dogs around too. It does seem to be more commong to see people walking well-cared-for dogs on leashes, but I see at least 20 free-roaming dogs for each supervised pet

Such is the norm in most of Latin America 

30 minutes ago, SirVive said:

Not in my normal areas but I'd add snakes to the list. Also shady homeless campers and trash. I've actually turned around and left after driving 15 min to one of my common haunts because I wasn't comfortable even leaving my car in the parking lot. 

I turned around once because a large family had decided that setting up tents and camping at the parking lot of the Nature Preserve was acceptable.  Same place and the stinky smoke coming from a car with clothes hanging in the window to block sunlight, caused me to decide to go elsewhere.  

• Sad 3

I have to admit, fog is pretty discouraging.

Before the sun rose this morning, it was 69F and no wind.   I thought I'd head out after I let Squirrelbane the Unstoppable drag me around the block.  Within 15 minutes, the sound-baffling, visibility-limiting, color-muting stuff built up to a near-unbirdable density.

I may give it a shot anyway since I've had few opportunities the last couple of months.  Or maybe just see what I think on my way to Hardee's...

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I may give it a shot anyway since I've had few opportunities the last couple of months.  Or maybe just see what I think on my way to Hardee's...

Use the fog to hide your approach and then wait for the mist to thin. ?

• Like 2

On 8/15/2022 at 6:37 PM, Kevin said:

I thought I had added weather, and I did add pets. 

I see [automatic inference there are many I'm not seeing] venomous snakes (Cottonmouths, Canebrakes, Copperheads, an Eastern Coral  on one occasion)--not large but dangerous if you step on them

People talking to me--not intentionally rude, but, sometimes, they don't pick up on cues that it's time to stop the conversation

• Like 4

Up here, it's mostly mosquitos, black flies and horse flies in the summer, and ticks (which were crazy bad when I was in Germany, many of my relatives there have pretty bad tick-spread diseases). Not many dangerous animals in my immediate area. Never really had problems with loud music, and there don't tend to be a lot of people in the areas that I bird, although I've had people on the bike path scare away birds that I was watching. Most people are pretty friendly, and I've never had someone be rude to me because I'm a birder, if they notice me at all they'll ask if I've seen anything interesting. Other people's pets don't bother me or the birds, so far, and I don't have pets and will probably never have pets. It can get pretty hot and humid in the summer, and winter is cold and practically devoid of birds.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Hahahaha I've birded in the teens (F) or lower before.

I see no reason to voluntarily subject myself to those conditions for recreational purposes.

29 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

... winter is cold and practically devoid of birds.

If there aren't any birds, why are you out there?  :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Hahahaha I've birded in the teens (F) or lower before.

When I was in Vermont in 1997 looking for the Northern Hawk Owls, I don't think the temperature ever rose above 0F. Fortunately there was almost no wind. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Wow!

When we boarded the plane in DC to fly to Providence, it was probably in the 40s (possibly low 50s) outside that morning. When we woke up in White River Junction NH the next morning, it was -15 outside, about -22 where were going, and -29 even further north in Vermont. Talk about a big temperature change.

• Like 3