Difficulties while birding. 

Nuisances when birding.  

30 members have voted

1. 1. Bugs.

2. 2. Dangerous Animals

• Bear
    • Alligator
    • Puma
    • Other large and possibly dangerous animal.
    • No problem at all in this category.
  3. 3. People/other

On 9/19/2022 at 1:39 PM, Charlie Spencer said:

Now there’s an annoyance - getting people on a photography site to understand that standards are different for bird ID photos.  It doesn’t have to be well lit or even in focus to be useful.

I can definitely say that on other photography forums (and the /r/photography subreddit), most opinions are geared towards genres like landscapes, portraits, architecture, weddings, vacation snapshots, and so on. A lot of the advice, like using a nifty fifty (fast 50 mm prime lens) and zooming with your feet, is not terribly useful when shooting birds. I'd say the sports photographers tend to have the most in common with us.

Regarding the recent trend of film photography in less demanding genres, I definitely couldn't see it making a comeback in a field where you throw away 80% of your pictures before you even start looking for keepers, and having the pictures to look at immediately (or when you get home) is handy for identification. My father shot film for years in the '90s, and watching him unload two entire rolls on one Desert Iguana is enough of an example of its expense.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Zoroark said:

A lot of the advice ... is not terribly useful when shooting birds

I tell them, "I'm trying to paint the living room, not the Mona Lisa."  Getting an artistic shot is great but that's for after I have practical documentation of the bird.  Slightly blurry and improperly exposed is WAY better than no shot because the bird didn't hang around while I composed, moved so the light was at a better angle, adjusted some settings, etc.  Tell that to the jaeger.

• Like 1

@Charlie Spencer My father calls that a consolation shot. Immediately take a photo of a rare or interesting species, even if you're too far away, then get closer, take a few more shots, get closer, and repeat until you're either as close as you're comfortable (or can focus) or the bird flies away. Also zigzag a bit as you approach so the bird doesn't think you're directly coming towards it.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 4

Know what another difficulty is? When a species refuses to to let you see it perched. I was able to actually see a GHOW this weekend, but it was flying directly away from me. Same view I got if my first one, and my second view was a “silhouette” as one of a pair flew over my head in the dead of night. Additionally, EASO have evaded me visually. Best view I’ve had was an early early dusk silhouette above the road. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Avery said:

Know what another difficulty is? When a species refuses to to let you see it perched. I was able to actually see a GHOW this weekend, but it was flying directly away from me. Same view I got if my first one, and my second view was a “silhouette” as one of a pair flew over my head in the dead of night. Additionally, EASO have evaded me visually. Best view I’ve had was an early early dusk silhouette above the road. 

But that's the fun of birding! If all the birds flew up to you, posed nicely in perfect light for several minutes until you had taken all the photos you want, and then tweeted their ID to your phone, would you honestly bother? LOL! The fun is in the search and the mental exercise of IDing the hard ones!

(When I finally got to see some Ocellated Quail after several failed attempts, I just got to see them jumping up and flying away, but it was still a thrill to see them!)

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Avery said:

I swear, it's as if they just don't care if they're photographed or not!  I don't know how they expect to improve their social media standing...

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

10 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I swear, it's as if they just don't care if they're photographed or not!  I don't know how they expect to improve their social media standing...

They just know how to play the poparazzi to their advantage. Especially when they pose better in exchange for a fancy dinner on the deck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Had an experience that seems creepier the more I thought about it.  I was at our "Big" lake scoping for gulls and ducks on the docks.  Eventually this really noisy vehicle showed up and parked right behind me near the dock.  I don't normally engage with people who randomly do slow drive past the dock...which happens a lot.  I never heard the doors open, and the car stayed parked, which is odd.  Normally they drive past, or get out and check out the lake.  Eventually it got too dark so I decided to head back to the truck.  I started to put my stuff away and decided I should use the "outhouse" before the long drive back.  I walk back to there, go in and just as I go in the vehicle fires back up and pulls right up next to the building.  I hadn't started my "process" yet, so immediately walked back out.  The truck was not even 10 feet away from the door.  It looked like a young m/f couple.  They never got out of their vehicle, even after I walked away.  As I got back to my truck they pulled around to the other side of the building and just parked there, out of sight.  

Not sure what they were up to, but it was very sketchy.  Not sure if they didn't realize how big I am or if they were just being stupid.  

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, chipperatl said:

Had an experience that seems creepier the more I thought about it.  I was at our "Big" lake scoping for gulls and ducks on the docks.  Eventually this really noisy vehicle showed up and parked right behind me near the dock.  I don't normally engage with people who randomly do slow drive past the dock...which happens a lot.  I never heard the doors open, and the car stayed parked, which is odd.  Normally they drive past, or get out and check out the lake.  Eventually it got too dark so I decided to head back to the truck.  I started to put my stuff away and decided I should use the "outhouse" before the long drive back.  I walk back to there, go in and just as I go in the vehicle fires back up and pulls right up next to the building.  I hadn't started my "process" yet, so immediately walked back out.  The truck was not even 10 feet away from the door.  It looked like a young m/f couple.  They never got out of their vehicle, even after I walked away.  As I got back to my truck they pulled around to the other side of the building and just parked there, out of sight.  

Not sure what they were up to, but it was very sketchy.  Not sure if they didn't realize how big I am or if they were just being stupid.  

I would have freaked. That's back chilling.

• Like 1