Whatbird Community

NOCA color aberration

I wonder if this might be the tail end of a young male getting his adult colour. It looks to me like there's still hints of black in the beak of the first bird. If the time of year is the same for both photos, it could just be young birds mounting. *said by someone who doesn't know what they're talking about regarding the timing of bird moults*

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I wonder if this might be the tail end of a young male getting his adult colour.

I admit I didn't consider that.  The pale feathers look too pale to have been the colors (note spelling) of an immature card, but that's just my impression.

• Like 1

first off I am colorblind, I cannot see the nuances that maybe present

the first shot was in September, the second in October

if I look at leucistic NOCAs, the feathers seem to be stark white, these feathers don't look white(?)

the second bird shows bleaching on the primaries, leucism impacts the entire feather

So I am inclined to agree that both these birds are maturing juveniles. But if this is the vestiges juvenile plumage , why doesn't the internet have a ton of examples?

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I admit I didn't consider that.  The pale feathers look too pale to have been the colors (note spelling) of an immature card, but that's just my impression.

I have to admit that the pale feathers are close to being completely white, but the darkness to the tip to the upper mandible makes me think this is a young bird getting the last of it's adult colours. (Note the way that the rest of the world spells it.)

Maybe it's a leucistic, juvenile Cardinal, going through moult? I don't know. I do know it's spelled "colour" though. ?

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, lonestranger said:

No need to call @Seanbirds a dolt just because of the way he spelled moult. There's actually two correct spellings for moult, so he's not actually the dolt here. He just chose the wrong correct spelling, go easy on him.

@Seanbirds, I apologize for @lonestranger mistakenly think I called you a dolt (doult?).

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 4

• 1 month later...
On 8/18/2022 at 8:08 AM, Kevin said:

Do you know that the Night-heron in your profile photo is pink?

I have had this avatar for 14 years, this is the first observation that the gray bird is pink.  Is this better?

08042416_17_284524 200.jpg

1 minute ago, zoutedrop said:

I have had this avatar for 14 years, this is the first observation that the gray bird is pink.  Is this better?

08042416_17_284524 200.jpg

A little bit....Still pretty pink colored. I really don't care at all, just thought you might not know.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Kevin said:

A little bit....Still pretty pink colored. I really don't care at all, just thought you might not know.

I did the original Photoshop 14 years ago, redid it to ensure that I did nothing but shadow/brightness (a bit over exposed), must be a camera aberration(?)

Happy that you made the observation, I think I will leave it as is now knowing that I have a hybrid?

I am confident in my manhood and have no problem wearing a pink shirt, even if I didn't know it.

• Like 1