Whatbird Community

Lesser Black-backed gull?

Not sure if other photos available. Check for yellow legs, usually fairly bright yellow, and pale eyes. Also, these are comparatively large gulls along Galveston shores. I'm inclined to agree on Lesser Black-backed.

Note: I bird regularly on Galveston Island and Bolivar Penninsula - attached are photos of Lesser Black-backed taken at East Beach a couple weeks ago.

Note to "Sugar Land": have you seen the Jaegers? Two have appeared at Apfel Park / East Beach.

Gull.Black-backed.Lesser.2022.0731fp.el.jpg

Gull.Black-backed.Lesser.2022.0731fs.rr.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

3 hours ago, Jim Highberger said:

Not sure if other photos available. Check for yellow legs, usually fairly bright yellow, and pale eyes. Also, these are comparatively large gulls along Galveston shores. I'm inclined to agree on Lesser Black-backed.

Note: I bird regularly on Galveston Island and Bolivar Penninsula - attached are photos of Lesser Black-backed taken at East Beach a couple weeks ago.

Note to "Sugar Land": have you seen the Jaegers? Two have appeared at Apfel Park / East Beach.

Gull.Black-backed.Lesser.2022.0731fp.el.jpg

Gull.Black-backed.Lesser.2022.0731fs.rr.jpg

Unless I’m missing something in this thread, the images you added are of a Ring-billed Gull. 

• Like 5