Whatbird Community

Central Texas 78070 - 2 birds in a crummy pic

I had to look up Pyrrhuloxia, never having seen one before.  The distribution map for them includes the San Antonio area where I reside.  I definitely think these were Pyrrhuloxia!  The birds did not behave like female cardinals of which I have never seen more than two of a kind and usually accompanied by an easily identified male companion.  The birds I saw were 5 or 6 in number and hopping around on the ground beneath a feeder stocked with cracked corn.  I thought they were female cardinals at first, then I thought they might be house finches, then I rejected both of those identifications. 

AllAboutBirds says "Pyrrhuloxias live in upland deserts, mesquite savannas, riparian (streamside) woodlands, desert scrublands, farm fields with hedgerows, and residential areas with nearby mesquite. When not breeding, some Pyrrhuloxias wander into urban habitats, mesquite-hackberry habitats, and riparian habitats with Arizona sycamore and cottonwood."  That would be a good description of my environs.  The Colorado River borders my exurb.  Mesquite, hackberry, and cactus are abundant.  I am surrounded by exotic game ranches and cattle grazing. 

Thanks for the comments. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, TexasCobra said:

I had to look up Pyrrhuloxia, never having seen one before.  The distribution map for them includes the San Antonio area where I reside.  I definitely think these were Pyrrhuloxia!  The birds did not behave like female cardinals of which I have never seen more than two of a kind and usually accompanied by an easily identified male companion.  The birds I saw were 5 or 6 in number and hopping around on the ground beneath a feeder stocked with cracked corn.  I thought they were female cardinals at first, then I thought they might be house finches, then I rejected both of those identifications. 

AllAboutBirds says "Pyrrhuloxias live in upland deserts, mesquite savannas, riparian (streamside) woodlands, desert scrublands, farm fields with hedgerows, and residential areas with nearby mesquite. When not breeding, some Pyrrhuloxias wander into urban habitats, mesquite-hackberry habitats, and riparian habitats with Arizona sycamore and cottonwood."  That would be a good description of my environs.  The Colorado River borders my exurb.  Mesquite, hackberry, and cactus are abundant.  I am surrounded by exotic game ranches and cattle grazing. 

Thanks for the comments. 

FYI, only the right bird is one. The left bird is a house sparrow. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Jim Highberger said:

I agree on Pyrrhuloxia. Good find! I have made several attempts in South Texas this year and have yet to spot one.

They aren't the easiest of birds to find, in my experience they manage to hide extremely well, and even when they pop up they are always into the sun with branches in the way of viewing them.