Whatbird Community

What is Happening Here?

I’m chasing this bird tomorrow morning, it like 10 minutes off my route on my wack back to school (ugh). Tho photo doesn’t give a lot for identification, but I’m really just confused on what the bird is doing. It looks like maybe it’s hugging another bird, or just… hefty. My brain can’t understand what is happening. Help! ? 

https://ebird.org/checklist/S117213983

edit: forgot to add that it also looks like it has arms and is holding a fish. 

Edited by Avery
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I just had another look and can add to the speculation by suggesting that maybe we're seeing two birds mating.

That's what I thought immediately.  The female has her head turned to her right and it isn't visible behind the male.

@Avery, @IKLland, didn't your parents explain this?

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 4

8 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I just had another look and can add to the speculation by suggesting that maybe we're seeing two birds mating.

I guess I should have had another look at what was said in the opening post when I had another look at the photo. It was @Avery that originally suggested the possibility of two birds. My speculation was second hand speculation, not the original idea I thought it was.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

His profile says he thinks he's the only young birder in his county.  QQ, is Schenectady in your area?

You are confused, you clicked on QQ's link to her profile, that is in her signature. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

His profile says he thinks he's the only young birder in his county.  QQ, is Schenectady in your area?

4 minutes ago, Kevin said:

You are confused, you clicked on QQ's link to her profile, that is in her signature. 

Okay, gave me some false hope there. Reminds me I should change the stuff on my profile.

4 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This computer stuff confuses us old people. 

Being an IT guy with a few years still left to work, you might not want to say that too loud, or too often. You might also want to hold off on introducing your bosses to birding or this website for awhile. :classic_wink:

• Haha 4