Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Two gulls and two terns


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

1 Lesser Black backed Gull

2 Not sure, maybe Herring? (or could be another lesser black-backed?)

3 Common Tern

Thanks. For the second one, how was great black backed eliminated?

Edited by IKLland
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Thanks. For the second one, how was greater black backed eliminated?

For me, I'd expect the gull just to have an overall more huge look (if you will) with a larger, stockier bill. Just my observation.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Seanbirds said:

For me, I'd expect the gull just to have an overall more huge look (if you will) with a larger, stockier bill. Just my observation.

Thanks. I could see it. If it’s not a GBBG, then do you think Herring or Lesser black backed? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IKLland said:

Thanks. I could see it. If it’s not a GBBG, then do you think Herring or Lesser black backed? 

I'm honestly not sure. The body proportions seem pretty good for Herring, but you know that isn't completely reliable, especially coming from me.

But I lean Herring anyways.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm still struggling with the first bird. Initial impression doesn't seem "Herring like" enough for a Great BB, but it may be the angle. The feet and especially the toes definitely look pink, early August so maybe an immature bird approaching adulthood.

 Can Great Black-backed be eliminated?

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I believe the second bird is a young subadult Lesser Black-backed Gull. My research has shown that it may be transitioning from the second summer to the third winter. Smallish,rounded head; slender straight bill; and long wings of this bird helps to separate it from similarly plumaged Great Black-backed Gulls. The white head and upper breast with moderate streaking are not uncommon in this species at this age in late summer. Birds of this age often show pink legs, but some could have yellow legs as well. I am no expert and give credit to "Gulls Simplified" by Pete Dunne and Kevin T. Karlson for my comments.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RobinHood said:

I'm still struggling with the first bird. Initial impression doesn't seem "Herring like" enough for a Great BB, but it may be the angle. The feet and especially the toes definitely look pink, early August so maybe an immature bird approaching adulthood.

 Can Great Black-backed be eliminated?

It’s not in adult plumage so the leg color can’t be used reliably, in this age of Lesser Black-backed I would expect pinkish-yellow legs. Mostly I am saying Lesser over Greater due to structure/giss, including what I interpret as a relatively slender, graceful head and bill. But you’re right it is hard to be certain without size comparison to other gulls, seeing some different postures/angles, etc. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, AlexHenry said:

It’s not in adult plumage so the leg color can’t be used reliably, in this age of Lesser Black-backed I would expect pinkish-yellow legs. Mostly I am saying Lesser over Greater due to structure/giss, including what I interpret as a relatively slender, graceful head and bill. But you’re right it is hard to be certain without size comparison to other gulls, seeing some different postures/angles, etc. I could be wrong, but I don’t think I am

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the red orbital ring on the first bird conclusively rules out Herring Gull, which I hope is worth adding in case since some people may have noted this and not pointed it out.

I never even considered GBBG for the first bird because it doesn't give that impression to me- and I've lived in New England and Western New York where I've seen a lot of them.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...