Whatbird Community

Key Largo in January

Birds are cool

I am going to Key Largo Florida in January. Does anybody have any good places to find these birds lifers:  Black whiskered Vireo, White Crowned Pigeon, any parrot sp, Magnificent frigatebird, Limpkin, Purple Gallinule, Short Tailed Hawk, Common Myna? I am going to try to see the nesting Caracaras when I go, but the other birds I am hoping to see. If anybody  has a reliable hotspot near key largo, please tell me. I have looked through most of the hotspots in Key Largo. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

I am going to Key Largo Florida in January. Does anybody have any good places to find these birds lifers:  Black whiskered Vireo, White Crowned Pigeon, any parrot sp, Magnificent frigatebird, Limpkin, Purple Gallinule, Short Tailed Hawk, Common Myna? I am going to try to see the nesting Caracaras when I go, but the other birds I am hoping to see. If anybody  has a reliable hotspot near key largo, please tell me. I have looked through most of the hotspots in Key Largo. 

If you can go further into the Keys, Big Pine Key- Blue Hole hotspot is where I have seen Black-whiskered Vireo (if there you will hear before you see so make sure you know what they sound like) and White Crowned Pigeon. Check the time of year on all your birds though as I didn't see them in January. Frigatebirds can be found all over the Keys but again check the seasonal timing. I have also seen Short-tailed Hawk on Big Pine Key. When you go to the Blue Hole for sure bird the pond area but also go further down the road that takes you there. If you can around dusk you may also see Key Deer on Big Pine Key. They like the residential areas around the Blue Hole. Purple Gallinule I'm not sure in the Keys. I haven't seen any there. Hope this helps. Funny how this came up now I was just sharing observations on iNaturalist from a trip to the Keys in March of 2021

Edited by Clip
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clip said:

I don't think he has birded anywhere but Palm Beach area.

I have travelled to neighboring Broward County a few times for birding, but other than that, have stayed in Palm Beach County.  I drove all the way down to Key West once, but that was long before I was a birder.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, dragon49 said:

I have travelled to neighboring Broward County a few times for birding, but other than that, have stayed in Palm Beach County.  I drove all the way down to Key West once, but that was long before I was a birder.

I thought you might be aware of some good locations in the general area.  There are hot spots in SC I know of but haven't been to yet.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1