Whatbird Community

Southern Ontario, early morning, early June.

I am not even going to attempt a guess in this case, the routine humiliation is becoming too much.

I know what I am hoping for (it would be my only image of this species and it does seem to have a long tail). Early morning photo with my trusty Panasonic pocket camera so not the best.

Actually, absolutely anything other than a Yellow-rumped Warbler (I am getting close to having these pinned down) will be fine.

All input very much appreciated.

Bird ID HandC-1010486.jpg

Edited by RobinHood

Thank you, thank you, I finally got one right. It looked a little ragged around the edges so I hesitated.

All the best.

• Like 1

Followup.

I just checked and the most recent nearby (within 50km) sighting (one) was 2014, others a long time ago (2004).

I am going to sneak this in as I am a very recent WhatBird/eBird enthusiast and have wondered where to follow up (other than with eBird who say this is normal) - I have had several observations classified as rare (all solid sightings with images and irrefutable backup - anything unusual I do not post without images) and two months later not accepted. What is the outer limit of time acceptance in your experience?

I would not mind except that for my local sites I have images going back to 2004. I am more of a bird lover (and photographer) than lister (you have probably figured this out from my postings) but thought the information would be useful for eBird. If this is normal no problem.

Hope I am not exceeding the boundaries. I could not find another outlet for my frustrations, albeit acknowledging the thankless task of the eBird reviewers.

Regards

I just recently had an Ebird reviewer ask me to change an ID from almost exactly 3 months ago.  These folks are volunteers and review observations when they have time.  Don't get frustrated.  Life happens.  Just take it in stride.

• Like 2

On 11/17/2018 at 7:28 PM, RobinHood said:

I am more of a bird lover (and photographer) than lister (you have probably figured this out from my postings)

I have a theory about two kinds of people you'll bump into when birding and on forums.  There are birders who to take photos as an ID tool, and photographers who have chosen birds as their subject.

• Like 1

Mark5.       Really appreciate your response as I had been a little nervous about asking the question here (I checked the forum rules first but still wondered if I was crossing a line).

I had looked for an eBird community forum but only found, other than Facebook, direct e-mail contact with eBird. It looked like I would not get a response here so I sent them an e-mail. Kathi responded last night acknowledging the backlog and was kind enough to review the thirteen outstanding observations, all basically accepted subject to the actual review.

It was actually less frustration and more of a concern that, as a beginner, I had missed a step for "rare" observation submissions.

Thanks again.

Charlie.       I normally completely agree with your postings but I have to suggest there is a third category. I started to enjoy birds and photography (a variety of subjects) more than sixty years ago when I was around ten. I probably have some black and white photos in a box of Blackbirds and Blue Tits taken with a Kodak Brownie. Continued to enjoy both on a low key basis over the years but got more serious a couple of years ago. I am always trying to get a better image (pose, setting etc.) than the last one but also find the images invaluable for ID on my desktop (is there an app like Merlin which works on a desktop?). I've attached an image from a couple of mornings ago taken in the local harbor.

All the best.

Common Loon Reflections Harbor B2 Topaz -7207217-Edit-Edit.jpeg

• Like 2