Whatbird Community

[North East USA] baby cousin decided to give me a “gift”, what is this from? 7 inches long. It's since been placed back into the wild. Suspecting it to be from a crow.

Welcome to Whatbird!  I could certainly believe it's from an American Crow, but depending on where you are in the Northeast, it could be from a Fish Crow or a Common Raven.

You could take a look at this page: https://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/resultSearch.php  It doesn't have Fish Crows, though.

Thanks for putting it back.

Edited by Jerry Friedman
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Jerry Friedman said:

Welcome to Whatbird!  I could certainly believe it's from an American Crow, but depending on where you are in the Northeast, it could be from a Fish Crow or a Common Raven.

You could take a look at this page: https://www.fws.gov/lab/featheratlas/resultSearch.php  It doesn't have Fish Crows, though.

Thanks for putting it back.

Could be a Grackle too.

• Like 2

7 inches seemed a little long for a Common Grackle.  Checking the Feather Atlas, I see that the longest tail feathers for male Common Grackle are 14 cm (5.5 in).  The ones for American Crow (just one sample) are 18 cm (7.1 in).  The shortest for male Common Raven (no female shown) are just over 20 cm (7.9 in).  So I'd say crow is the favorite at this point.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Jerry Friedman said:

7 inches seemed a little long for a Common Grackle.  Checking the Feather Atlas, I see that the longest tail feathers for male Common Grackle are 14 cm (5.5 in).  The ones for American Crow (just one sample) are 18 cm (7.1 in).  The shortest for male Common Raven (no female shown) are just over 20 cm (7.9 in).  So I'd say crow is the favorite at this point.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I just want to thank you all very much. I know this seems very silly, but crows/ravens are extremely important to me in my life and have been a 'sign' bird for me during troubling times. For months I basically asked to the void "Please, just show me a sign that I'm going the right direction. " I specifically asked for a crow/raven feather. I recently had a breakthrough with some hidden trauma and fear and the next day I was given this. I was so amazed and doubtful that I came here to just double check.
I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. You have no idea what this meant to me.

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, CrowCalls2022 said:

I just want to thank you all very much. I know this seems very silly, but crows/ravens are extremely important to me in my life and have been a 'sign' bird for me during troubling times. For months I basically asked to the void "Please, just show me a sign that I'm going the right direction. " I specifically asked for a crow/raven feather. I recently had a breakthrough with some hidden trauma and fear and the next day I was given this. I was so amazed and doubtful that I came here to just double check.
I really appreciate you all taking the time to help me out. You have no idea what this meant to me.

Reading the title I was afraid it was going to be a baby bird. I'm so glad you got what you needed, and yes, thank you so much for returning it. I hope it brings you some peace.

Welcome to WhatBird!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CrowCalls2022 said:

All the best for your continued progress!

• Like 3