Whatbird Community

Flycatcher(BOC photos)

I’m out in the field right now, so I can post the real photos later(I promise by tomorrow). I’m wondering if this can be identified? Didn’t feel like a pewee to me. Orange County, Ca. 

Willow? Habitat is shown below the photos.

D40DFA93-5316-4BDD-833A-6123D3B32BF0.thumb.jpeg.efa490b49cd0cc2782a784cf6274c71a.jpeg

13DF4C7F-E1F0-42CC-A3F7-A2054B6C3A8D.thumb.jpeg.786ce366835b05b9e89a1cb4121a354d.jpeg

9C36CF9F-24B7-4B91-B7CA-29CBFD01ABB6.thumb.jpeg.9fd61f142537abb3e1eae828225cd088.jpeg

image.thumb.jpg.60e1e6001b94334f66f8449c2098c7a2.jpg

19 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Ok, sorry. I thought it was fine if I then added the real image later today, I’m case this was a rarity that I needed to get reported. 

I'm probably the last guy who would be expected to support this practice but if people want to post BOCs, I say post 'em.

• If people don't want to attempt identifying a BOC, they don't have to.  Click 'Next Unread Topic' and move on.  I routinely skip any post with more than three or four photos.
  • If a bird is harder to identify because it's shown in a BOC and not the original post, that's to the poster's disadvantage.  
  • We've identified birds using 'true' photos that are of poorer quality than some BOCs.

Personally, I've never photographed an unfamiliar bird that I couldn't wait until I get home to identify, but that's me.  

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

The lower the quality of qualitative data you give us, the lower the quality of quantitative data we spit back. I’d go with empid sp for now, probably a Willow

That’s exactly what I submitted it as.

10 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

I don’t think the occasional BOC pic is a terrible thing, but it shouldn’t be a regular thing.

Why not?

I strongly dislike posts with a bunch of photos.  I find it tedious to wade through them, and to scroll up and down between the original photos and the answers.  I have trouble keeping  track of which one is which, even when they're numbered.  All of this gets even more unpleasant when the original poster is asked for additional photos or someone else posts comparison photos.

But I'm not opposed to people posting that way.  None of us are required to read or respond to each post.  That's why there's a 'Next' button.

10 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

I want to nip it in the bud

Why?  What's the harm in what Opie's doing, Barney?  :classic_biggrin:

EDIT and will personally hunt down anyone who makes @lonestranger aware I'm taking this stand.

• Like 1

As much as I hate to admit it, @Charlie Spencer is 100% right. As much as we might not like the BOC photos, it's not our place to say it shouldn't be done. 

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

EDIT and will personally hunt down anyone who makes @lonestranger aware I'm taking this stand.

I won't tell anyone that you took the right stand, if you don't tell anyone that you made me aware of your stand. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I won't tell anyone that you took the right stand, if you don't tell anyone that you made me aware of your stand. 

Diagram that sentence, please.

I'm not claiming I have the 'right' stand.  I'm asking why BOCs shouldn't be used.  What harm do they do, either to individual participants or Whatbird collectively?