Whatbird Community

West Tennessee Flycatcher

9 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

Eye ring not bold enough, forehead too sloping and bill too large for Yellow-bellied. I think the colour balance is off, especially in the first photo?

Maybe Traill's.

Wait for the experts.

However, it's got really long primary projection, longer than Traill's, I would believe. I agree, though, I'd be interested in what the experts have to say.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

Definitely not Traill’s, though IMO

Agree. I didn't pay attention to the location (or the PP), maybe Acadian?

I have limited experience with Yellow-bellied so wasn't dismissing, just interested to see some other opinions.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

Agree. I didn't pay attention to the location (or the PP), maybe Acadian?

I have limited experience with Yellow-bellied so wasn't dismissing, just interested to see some other opinions.

That was my thought. I was debating between Yellow bellied and Acadian. 

1 hour ago, AlexHenry said:

I agree with Acadian

My problem is that my only proper field guide that I own is Sibley's Guide to Birds of Western North America, from 2005. Although it's very useful in most situations, it lacks a lot of eastern birds that I don't encounter often here and have trouble differentiating, like Acadian Flycatcher and Mottled Duck. Sorry for going off the post topic, but is it worth it to get Sibley Birds East?

33 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

My problem is that my only proper field guide that I own is Sibley's Guide to Birds of Western North America, from 2005. Although it's very useful in most situations, it lacks a lot of eastern birds that I don't encounter often here and have trouble differentiating, like Acadian Flycatcher and Mottled Duck. Sorry for going off the post topic, but is it worth it to get Sibley Birds East?

I have the Sibley's east + west, the hands-down choice here for migrants until the new Peterson came out which includes migrants, and now Merlin has largely replaced the need for field guides. It's not very compact but it's good! 

But you could also check Merlin for other regions.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Get the full book. https://www.amazon.com/Sibley-Guide-Birds-2nd/dp/030795790X/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3K9ISBWSJS6S4&keywords=sibley+bird+guide&qid=1663466315&sprefix=sibleys+bird+guide%2Caps%2C134&sr=8-2

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yes, it is totally worth it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Anything Eastern NA or all of NA is going to be an improvement over Western only, esp. for a New Yorker.  Anything in the last five years will be a step up over a 2005 guide.

If you don't plan on taking the book to the field, I suggest National Geographic's Complete Guide to Birds of North America.  Why limit yourself to a small portable book if you're not carrying it around?  Go with something with more and larger illustrations and more informative text.

$30

https://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Complete-Birds-America/dp/1426221886/ref=asc_df_1426221886/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=509199198673&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16406379152465318377&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010378&hvtargid=pla-1261947847561&psc=1

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Aveschapines said:

I have the Sibley's east + west, the hands-down choice here for migrants until the new Peterson came out which includes migrants, and now Merlin has largely replaced the need for field guides. It's not very compact but it's good! 

But you could also check Merlin for other regions.

10 hours ago, Kevin said:

10 hours ago, Peromyscus said:

Yes, it is totally worth it.

52 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Anything Eastern NA or all of NA is going to be an improvement over Western only, esp. for a New Yorker.  Anything in the last five years will be a step up over a 2005 guide.

If you don't plan on taking the book to the field, I suggest National Geographic's Complete Guide to Birds of North America.  Why limit yourself to a small portable book if you're not carrying it around?  Go with something with more and larger illustrations and more informative text.

$30

https://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Complete-Birds-America/dp/1426221886/ref=asc_df_1426221886/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=509199198673&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16406379152465318377&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010378&hvtargid=pla-1261947847561&psc=1

Thanks so much everybody! I'll definitely get either the complete Sibley or the eastern one soon. I prefer Sibley because I find his illustrations can do a lot more for me in pointing out subtler differences than photographs sometimes do.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

illustrations can do a lot more for me in pointing out subtler differences than photographs sometimes do.

Don't forget to read the text!!!!! While a picture might paint a thousand words, the text can describe features and tell you the subtle differences to look for, making them a lot easier to notice in the field. There's lots to be learned from reading, don't limit yourself to photos/drawings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Don't forget to read the text!!!!! While a picture might paint a thousand words, the text can describe features and tell you the subtle differences to look for, making them a lot easier to notice in the field. There's lots to be learned from reading, don't limit yourself to photos/drawings.

Yep, I do that too. I practically have the text in my current field guide memorized.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1