Whatbird Community

Another Jaeger

1 hour ago, Bird-Boys said:

5 species of shearwater (including a Short-tailed Shearwater), and best of all, a subadult NAZCA BOOBY!

Nice, that seems pretty early and far south for a Short-tailed. And I’m jealous of the Nazca of course!

@HasanOut of Half Moon Bay you’ll very likely get more Storm-Petrels and alcids (Half moon bay seems pretty good for Tufted Puffin, though still scarce). Probably more Albatross. But likely zero or very few Black-vented Shearwater, and the chance for Boobies is significantly lower (though still possible, namely Brown, but never count on it).

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

Nice, that seems pretty early and far south for a Short-tailed. And I’m jealous of the Nazca of course!

@HasanOut of Half Moon Bay you’ll very likely get more Storm-Petrels and alcids (Half moon bay seems pretty good for Tufted Puffin, though still scarce). Probably more Albatross. But likely zero or very few Black-vented Shearwater, and the chance for Boobies is significantly lower (though still possible, namely Brown, but never count on it).

Yeah, Half-moon bay can be pretty hit or miss. I've been on trips there with Guadelupe Murrelet, and I've been on some with almost no birds. At this time of year there'll also be some numbers of storm-petrels as well.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AlexHenry said:

Thanks for the advice! I got Black-vented Shearwater off San Diego already this year, fortunately (and Brown Booby in S Texas). Really hoping I get some good birds, I still need a lot for my list.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hasan said:

How was the pelagic? Do you have a trip report? I'm planning on going on the 25th.

7 hours ago, Hasan said:

Half moon bay

When you said the 25th, I was hoping it would be the SoCal pelagic that I’m going on on the 25th! Good luck though! 

4 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Do you have any advice on what I might get on the 25th out of Dana Point harbor? I’ve done tons of research, but I’d like to know if anyone has any other tips on what I might see. 

4 hours ago, IKLland said:

Do you have any advice on what I might get on the 25th out of Dana Point harbor? I’ve done tons of research, but I’d like to know if anyone has any other tips on what I might see. 

I’ve never done a SoCal pelagic. So I have no idea. But I’d imagine Boobies are more expected and Black-vented Shearwaters are more numerous. Storm-Petrels probably mostly Black but potentially also Least or Leach’s (which might have dark rumps down there). Probably no Fork-tailed, no Wilson’s, less Ashy compared to central/northern CA. Probably less alcids in general, but much better chances for the deep water murrelets.

• Thanks 1