Whatbird Community
Bee_ keeper

House/Purple Finch, or Pine Siskin?

25 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I usually bow to @akiley, but is the beak heavy enough?  I'd swear I see yellow on the outer primaries, but I guess that could just be a photographic illusion.

I do see some yellowish coloring to the primaries, but that's not atypical. This bird looks like it has some weird molting/worn pattern going on. Note the facial pattern for Purple. And the bill does look a little thick, but the culmen looks straight. An odd bird, but definitely a Purple.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'd go with Purple Finch as well.  I hesitated when I saw the yellow in the wings, but remembered that some (young ones, I believe) tend to be quite yellow.  Like this: https://www.hbw.com/sites/default/files/styles/ibc_1k/public/ibc/p/Purple_Finch_female_7819.jpg?itok=nNcPLq7M

The bird in that photo is actually the western subspecies. Here's a checklist where I did an analysis on PUFI subspecies.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S31860706

The overall coloring on the wings of the OP's bird does look a bit like the western ssp californicis, but we can't even begin to make any claim from just this pic. It's a Purple nonetheless.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your expertise.   What mainly threw me off was that the other female (immature?) Purples that I photographed all seemed to have heavier throat markings (see below) and more well-defined streaking in general.  The angle of the bill in photo above may have given the impression of a sharper point as well.

pfinchDSCN6751

Edited by Bee_ keeper
added info
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, akiley said:

The bird in that photo is actually the western subspecies. Here's a checklist where I did an analysis on PUFI subspecies.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S31860706

The overall coloring on the wings of the OP's bird does look a bit like the western ssp californicis, but we can't even begin to make any claim from just this pic. It's a Purple nonetheless.

Ah!  That's good to know.  I was not aware of the different PUFI subspecies.  Thanks!

9 minutes ago, Bee_ keeper said:

Thank you all for your expertise.   What mainly threw me off was that the other female (immature?) Purples that I photographed all seemed to have heavier throat markings (see below) and more well-defined streaking in general.  The angle of the bill in photo above may have given the impression of a sharper point as well.

pfinchDSCN6751

Interesting. I agree it's definitely more sparsely marked than most. Could be based on age (maybe an immature?) or just individual variation. 

• Like 1