Whatbird Community

Naumans Thrush in Alaska!!!!!! 2nd ever North American Record

Birds are cool

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Never heard of Naumann's Thrush before! Crazy that the last record was in 1982.

1 hour ago, Birds are cool said:

I looked in my Nat Geo book, and it did not even have Naumann's Thrush in it!

Naumann's Thrush was formerly lumped with Dusky Thrush and was (finally) recognized as a separate species by American authorities a few years ago. There have been several records of Dusky/Naumann's Thrushes reported in AK in recent decades, as well as many reports of hybrids between the two taxa in AK. 

They certainly have had a good fall in the western Aleutians this year, with highlights being the ABA's first record of Icterine Warbler, 3rd Red-backed Shrike, 8th Yellow-breasted Bunting, Tree Pipit, Middendorf’s Grasshopper Warbler, and Taiga Flycatcher.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Bird-Boys said:

Naumann's Thrush was formerly lumped with Dusky Thrush and was (finally) recognized as a separate species by American authorities a few years ago. There have been several records of Dusky/Naumann's Thrushes reported in AK in recent decades, as well as many reports of hybrids between the two taxa in AK. 

They certainly have had a good fall in the western Aleutians this year, with highlights being the ABA's first record of Icterine Warbler, 3rd Red-backed Shrike, 8th Yellow-breasted Bunting, Tree Pipit, Middendorf’s Grasshopper Warbler, and Taiga Flycatcher.

I am pretty sure it was a Icterine Wagtail, but yeah, I have subscribed to the aba rarities alert on ebird, and have looked at every checklist with the rare birds on it.