Whatbird Community

2 minutes ago, Bird-Boys said:

I believe both birds in the last two pics are Common, and the two rightmost of the three closest terns in the first pic also look like common.

Thanks! How do you differentiate between common and Forster’s in this plumage? 

22 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Thanks! How do you differentiate between common and Forster’s in this plumage? 

Dark cap extending around nape, somewhat of a murky dark-and-reddish bill in this plumage, and dark primaries.

19 minutes ago, IKLland said:

And I’m assuming the other birds on the first photo are Forster’s?

I am not sure, it looks like the bottommost bird could Common, but I would expect to see darker primaries on that bird. The top bird could be Common as well, but I wouldn't call it without seeing shots of the head. I wouldn't call the remaining two from that shot.

Edited by Bird-Boys
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Did the call out Arctic on your pelagic today? You don't usually see a lot of Sterna on these pelagics. 

No, nobody had a definite Arctic, and it wasn’t called out. Somebody thought my third photo may had been one.

8 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Did the call out Arctic on your pelagic today? You don't usually see a lot of Sterna on these pelagics. 

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

No, nobody had a definite Arctic, and it wasn’t called out. Somebody thought my third photo may had been one.

We didn't see any Sterna on our pelagic either, although our county waters are a birdless desert compared to almost all other coastal county waters in CA. 

Just now, Bird-Boys said:

We didn't see any Sterna on our pelagic either, although our county waters are a birdless desert compared to almost all other coastal county waters in CA. 

Same with ours, actually. There’s only like three or four offshore hotspots, and two of those are general areas, like a three mile radius. 

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Same with ours, actually. There’s only like three or four offshore hotspots, and two of those are general areas, like a three mile radius. 

Yeah, but your county waters are deep in murrelet-and-Boobybreeding-land and ours aren't! ?

• Haha 3