Whatbird Community

I don't know how to do a clip and the bird was there for only a couple of seconds before disappearing into trees.  Someone on the site chat told me in no uncertain terms that it was a RSH.  There are a lot of RSH in the area, always buzzing the nest.

Gotta admit that's not an eagle tail.  I was all hung up on coloration.
Here's the stream:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScrHyQLxy14

I thank you all.  You're a great bunch of folks!

Now back to 'cane prep!

• Like 3

Two things, just before the shot @SSally posted a Red-tailed Hawk lands on a limb just out of sight to the left. (when it comes in you can see it's wing.) While that bird is still siting there, the bird in question comes by, flying right by the nest. A few moments after the questionable bird disappears, the Red-tailed takes off, flying right in front of the camera.

I would say they are both Red-tailed Hawks, but the one certainly is.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Are you referring to the one visible in the video, not the one in the originally posted image?

Correct, I am only suggesting the bird in the original post is a Red-tailed.

The other bird(the one not shown here) is a Red-tailed Hawk for sure.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Two things, just before the shot @SSally posted a Red-tailed Hawk lands on a limb just out of sight to the left. (when it comes in you can see it's wing.) While that bird is still siting there, the bird in question comes by, flying right by the nest. A few moments after the questionable bird disappears, the Red-tailed takes off, flying right in front of the camera.

I would say they are both Red-tailed Hawks, but the one certainly is.

I finally watched the video itself, and it sure sounds like Red-shouldered hawks to me being mobbed by crows.  Visually, I'll pass on either of the birds for ID, other than to say that neither are eagles for sure.  Given the visual correlation to the calls being heard by the raptor(s) in question, however, I ultimately agree with Red-shouldered for at least one of them.

• Like 3

OK, this very fuzzy but it looks like tail is red as bird is going forward.  Then again............This is same bird from original pic.  Thanks

(note  timestamp below is when I took pic - original 11:01:23)

Well no wonder the crows were upset if the place was full of hawks!

Screenshot 2022-09-27 at 16-07-38 NEFL Cam 1 - Live Bald Eagle Cam - YouTube.png

1 hour ago, Caley Thomas 2.0 said:

I finally watched the video itself, and it sure sounds like Red-shouldered hawks to me being mobbed by crows.  Visually, I'll pass on either of the birds for ID, other than to say that neither are eagles for sure.  Given the visual correlation to the calls being heard by the raptor(s) in question, however, I ultimately agree with Red-shouldered for at least one of them.

I didn't have the sound on, didn't even think about it. I don't have a problem with the bird posted here as being Red-shouldered, but I wouldn't say it was one either. 

• Like 3