Whatbird Community

Bullock's Oriole?

In the field, I thought it was a Baltimore which is quite common where I took these pictures (near Houston, TX) but Merlin ID keeps insisting that it is a Bulocks which is not unheard of but quite rare in this area. The park where I took these pictures got on gorgeous male bullocks a couple of years ago so I am asking for your opinions here. I can see the more yellowish face  with a bit darker cap than expected for Baltimore, along with quite extensive white in the wing coverts. Is that enough?

Thanks in advance

DSCN8374 DSCN8372

I have zero experience with differentiating between the two species, especially with female/immature birds. That said, this bird is really dull compared to any Baltimore I have ever seen. Looking at photos in my bird apps, all the female type baltimores have some yellow/orange on the breast/belly area. The wing pattern does match Baltimore. I know these two species hybridize extensively, so that could also be an option. Just my two cents. 

• Like 2

Just now, Avery said:

I have zero experience with differentiating between the two species, especially with female/immature birds. That said, this bird is really dull compared to any Baltimore I have ever seen. Looking at photos in my bird apps, all the female type baltimores have some yellow/orange on the breast/belly area. The wing pattern does match Baltimore. I know these two species hybridize extensively, so that could also be an option. Just my two cents. 

This is why I should stop trying to ID female/immature orioles.

• Like 1

Drab fall female Bullocks and Baltimore Orioles are a huge ID challenge. As an stated above, they hybridize extensively and caution should be warranted. I would use a slash here if I were reporting this via eBird.

• Like 9