Whatbird Community

I know, I know, but please forgive me for this.

I know some people here are against BOC photos, but can anyone try to IS this? I can add real photos later. I completely forgot to set up wifi on my camera. 

Thanks! 
Rose-breasted? Today, 

Orange County, Ca. It’s really scruffy. 

8D5C4EDA-11A3-4AF4-A912-389670BEA846.jpeg

8C3C26C5-DB2E-4B02-9E33-6D35666088B1.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

I think that we might need to wait for real photos on this bird. I can't even tell if it's a truly a Grosbeak from these given the odd molt this bird is in. Is the upper mandible pink on this bird? 

It was definitely a grosbeak. The lighting was really tough, I think it might have been pink, but I’m not positive.

14 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

Was the sparrow self found? I haven't seen any recent reports in Orange that I'm aware of. 

The sparrow was self found, as was the (rose breasted?) grosbeak. Very happy to have my first self found rarity out if my yard! 

There was a report of a VESP in the county a few days ago. They are much more common(but still fairly rare) in the interior foothills of the county, which has decent habitat for them. This bird was at the most heavily birded passerine location in the county, so it is the fifth record for the park, but the first since 2015. But what makes it more special is that this was only a mile and a half from the ocean. VESP is extremely rare along the coast in SoCal, so I’m thrilled to have found this one! 

• Like 2

I'm probably not the best person to ask, as I've never seen a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak, but that upper mandible is pink, which strongly points to Rose-breasted. Black-headed always has a dark upper mandible. You can't see the breast streaking on this bird through, which is too bad. I'd say you're fine calling this Rose-breasted, but if I were you I'd wait for someone else to agree with me first. 

Edited by Aidan B
  • Thanks 1