Whatbird Community

I know, I know, but please forgive me for this.

34 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Unfortunately I have received feedback from my reviewer, and he says that the upper mandible doesn’t appear pink enough, and you would be able to see some streaking on the breast even from the photos. He says BHGR.

Yeah, with the new photos...didn't want to discourage you but they didn't really feel like a RBGR.

Respectfully, can we try to post the actual photos instead of BOC shots? What's the rush? IMO neither bird was identifiable before posting the actual shots, and unless it's really obvious that's very often the case.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Hasan said:

Respectfully, can we try to post the actual photos instead of BOC shots? What's the rush? IMO neither bird was identifiable before posting the actual shots, and unless it's really obvious that's very often the case.

Respectfully, what's the harm in BOCs?  If it can't be identified, no one loses except the poster.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Aidan B said:

I'm probably not the best person to ask, as I've never seen a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak, but that upper mandible is pink, which strongly points to Rose-breasted. Black-headed always has a dark upper mandible. You can't see the breast streaking on this bird through, which is too bad. I'd say you're fine calling this Rose-breasted, but if I were you I'd wait for someone else to agree with me first. 

Rose-breasted can have a darker upper mandible, and Black-headed can have a paler upper mandible. So basically, both Rose-breasted and Black-headed Grosbeaks can have bills with a little black on the upper mandible. Rose-breasted generally has more streaking than Black-headed, although this is variable, and both Rose-breasted and Black-headed can be very streaked, or not streaked at all (Although most Rose-breasted have at least some streaking). Rose-breasted is generally a lot cleaner than Black-headed, although this is also variable. This bird's bill is very pink, which points to Rose-breasted, but given how wet and worn this bird is, I wouldn't call it. Best left as a / imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1