Whatbird Community

First attempt at audio

Clapper Rail, Brunswick County, SE NC.  Sept. 2021.  The capture was done with Merlin on an iPhone 7.  I used ocenaudio to create a new file with just the first few seconds.

Macaulay's tutorial for ocenaudio (https://www.macaulaylibrary.org/resources/audio-editing-tutorials/prepare-sound-files-in-ocenaudio/) says to next 'normalize to -3 dB' so the file is consistent with other Mac records.  I did that but think it results in the ambient background noise nearly drowning out the bird.  What do you think?

CAUTION - you may want to turn your volume down before playing.

Should I try normalizing to a different value?  Don't normalize at all?  Or something else entirely?  Thanks!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

CAUTION - you may want to turn your volume down before playing.

On a phone, so haven't listened to the audio yet, but is this your way of telling us that you didn't post one of those audios that you have to max out the volume, and still not hear anything?

• Haha 1

I think it is cool that you are trying to do some recording. I have been doing audio for most of my life, but have never recorded birds. I took your recording into my app for VinylStudio and checked your levels. After setting the volume level by the VU meters, it normalized at -4.4 db. I'm sure VinylStudio is overkill for bird recordings but it works for any audio. I also de-noised the recording.

Don't know if this will play, but here it is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF5yaFTZSs0

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I'm very surprised at hearing bits of background conversation picked up at the beginning.  I was alone on the deck; other family members were on the inside through an open window.  I've had a hard time finding some portion of the original 56 seconds that doesn't have any of that.

@Chris Clem, I'm don't know that I'll be doing much recording.  I only kept this one because it happened to be a lifer.  As it is, I've sat on the recording for over a year before trying to do anything with it.  But thanks for including what you did.  The noise reduction helps a lot.

I found a different section that doesn't have the background conversation that dominates the first second or so of this one.  I've normalize it to 4.4 and ran the auto noise reduction. 

It's interesting that the noise reduction doesn't appear to do anything with the first second.  It's also interesting that .WAV files don't have 'Tag' metadata field like image files do.  Still, I'm content with it so I'll call it quits before I get frustrated with it.

Thanks, everyone.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing to note with cleaning up audio for those who might want it give it a go. The de-noising or de-clicking, hum/hiss reduction etc is it works really good on Wav or Flac files. It is just a disaster to try to cleanup any of the space saving files like MP3 or AAC etc......ONLY use Wav. files for recording audio.

• Like 2