Whatbird Community

Bird ID Help

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Something about this bird doesn't feel like Pine to me, although I can't say what.

Everything about it doesn't feel like a Pine except the bill and plain back/shoulders.  The greener yellow color, the small head, and  @chipperatlmakes a good point - the tail's too short.  I think it's got to be a strange Blackpoll...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Everything about it doesn't feel like a Pine except the bill and plain back/shoulders.  The greener yellow color, the small head, and  @chipperatlmakes a good point - the tail's too short.  I think it's got to be a strange Blackpoll...

I would agree - I can't make this thing into a Pine warbler.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2022 at 5:49 PM, Avery said:

Pine Warbler with that bill

Just wanted to add that I looked through photos, and Blackpoll does have a pretty chunky bill as well. The back streaking (we can just barely see one streak if you zoom in) could be a ruffle in the feathers. One of the photos on the Audubon app has a PIWA that appears to have streaks on it back. 

Overall, I agree that coloration and feel points to Blackpoll. Pine can have yellow feet as well… but I’ve never seen a Pine that was that green. I’m going to go back on my original ID and join team Blackpoll here, even though they aren’t on the ground as often. 

Edited by Avery
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I guess we are just going to ignore that this bird has no streaking on it's back?

I still say it is a Pine Warbler. 

It does, just not that obvious at this angle. The shade of yellow is more greenish than what I'd expect on a Pine Warbler, and something about the eyering and GISS is screaming Blackpoll at me. Also, Blackpoll is twice as likely at this location, and generally a more common migrant than Pine from my experience in the state.

• Like 2