Whatbird Community

Plover ID tips.

Southern Ontario today.

Shorebirds are still a work in progress. Fairly sure these were all juvenile Black-bellied today (famous last words) but...

Photo 1. Three BBPL with a GRYE. Almost certain (heavy bill and white belly) but wings appear long.

Photo 2. Again reasonably sure it is a BBPL (unless AMGP can have a heavier bill) but streaking extends to UnTC. If I could not see the bill is there a way to differentiate with AMGP.

Basically asking, other than bill structure and belly streaking, what ID features are available.

Thanks.

Black-bellied Plover 3juv 1GRYE HandC-7543175.jpg

Black-bellied Plover 1juv HandC-7543135.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, IKLland said:

The bird in the second photo has gold flecks on the back and crown, and the crown is way darker than a BBPL.

I saw that but my guides show a much thinner bill for AMGP so I wasn't sure, I've only seen a few. Rare for this time of year so subject to review. Much appreciated.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, RobinHood said:

I saw that but my guides show a much thinner bill for AMGP so I wasn't sure, I've only seen a few. Rare for this time of year so subject to review. Much appreciated.

I think the bill looks within range for a golden plover, but if it looks thick to you, that’s probably the angle. It’s definitely an American golden plover. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, IKLland said:

Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m just having an extremely difficult time calling that a BBPL.

You're not wrong. Dark cap and long wings for the win. God Bless America(n Golden Plover)