Whatbird Community

Female Northern Cardinal?

9 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Also, it's a bit too late for cardinals of this year to still not have molted from my experience.

The bird's in SE VA.  I still have dark-billed cards at my feeders in central SC.  They may be done molting in NY but I suspect some mated pairs further south may be able to squeeze in a late brood, esp. with climate change.

10 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I'm pretty sure any darkness on the bill is from shadow.

I think the bill is a pale orange, as in changing from black to dark orange/red. I think it is immature but it could be just a really drab female although the bill should be darker.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I'm pretty sure any darkness on the bill is from shadow.

To me, the base of the bill is still immaturely dark.  It gets lighter and yellowish toward the tip but I don't see it as the full bright orange of an adult bird. 

This bird is still overall beige, more than can be accounted for by shade.  Other than maybe a faint flush under the tail, I don't see any of the red or reddish hues on this bird that would be seen on an adult of either sex.

Here's one of my adult females for comparison:

Edited by Charlie Spencer

16 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

To me, the base of the bill is still immaturely dark.  It gets lighter and yellowish toward the tip but I don't see it as the full bright orange of an adult bird. 

This bird is still overall beige, more than can be accounted for by shade.  Other than maybe a faint flush under the tail, I don't see any of the red or reddish hues on this bird that would be seen on an adult of either sex.

Here's one of my adult females for comparison:

I'm still pretty sure the bill is lighting. The redness, I get. As I already said, not dying on this hill.

• Like 2