Whatbird Community

Bobolink?

6 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

I do not disagree with you, @Kevin, but could you explain why the sparrows are not Seaside Sparrows? Look at this photo of a Seaside Sparrow atlantic subspecies.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/85228801#_ga=2.216401942.1268759153.1665146547-940157191.1613408737

I think it looks more like a Saltmarsh Sparrow than a Seaside.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ronvan3 said:

I think it looks more like a Saltmarsh Sparrow than a Seaside.

Agreed. These are either Nelson’s or Saltmarsh Sparrows. My guess is the first two are Saltmarsh by the contrasting malar and breast colors, and sharp breast streaks. Not sure how to tell them apart in flight. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Additionally, coastal Nelson’s Sparrows are much duller than interior birds. The bright orange on these birds favors Saltmarsh over the “presumably” more improbable interior migrants. I checked eBird maps and both Ssp are uncommonly reported in VA. I don’t trust subspecies maps though, as in my experience reviewers don’t like you to report subspecies of birds that aren’t super easy. For example, I can report a Myrtle Yellow-rump no problem. But Eastern Downy Woodpecker? That’s too far. Thats a rant for another thread though…

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Avery said:

Additionally, coastal Nelson’s Sparrows are much duller than interior birds. The bright orange on these birds favors Saltmarsh over the “presumably” more improbable interior migrants. I checked eBird maps and both Ssp are uncommonly reported in VA. I don’t trust subspecies maps though, as in my experience reviewers don’t like you to report subspecies of birds that aren’t super easy. For example, I can report a Myrtle Yellow-rump no problem. But Eastern Downy Woodpecker? That’s too far. Thats a rant for another thread though…

Why I avoid subs like a rabid pit bull.