Whatbird Community

I've been seeing a lot of Coopers Hawks in my yard lately and this little guy showed up today. It looked significantly smaller than the other hawks I've been seeing. Is this a Sharp-shinned? (See today near Boise, Idaho.) Thanks!

Screen-Shot-2018-11-23-at-12-27-17-PM.pn

• Like 1

WOW! The yard is busy today! Just saw four hawks at once battling over a fresh robin kill. Three were really small and one was much larger. Are these Sharpies and Coopers?

Screen-Shot-2018-11-23-at-1-23-51-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2018-11-23-at-1-13-51-PM.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, TheBirdSpot said:

WOW! The yard is busy today! Just saw four hawks at once battling over a fresh robin kill. Three were really small and one was much larger. Are these Sharpies and Coopers?

The first is a Sharpie and the second is a Cooper's.  That must have been quite the sight!  Great shots!

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

The first is a Sharpie and the second is a Cooper's.  That must have been quite the sight!  Great shots!

Okay, that's what I was thinking. The Cooper's Hawk was MUCH larger than the other three. Definitely a first time seeing that in my yard. 

Thanks for the input!

31 minutes ago, TheBirdSpot said:

Life is good.  At least, life is good if you're not the robin.  It's great when you can get two frequently confused species to show up together for comparison!

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Life is good.  At least, life is good if you're not the robin.  It's great when you can get two frequently confused species to show up together for comparison!

Yeah, the robin was not as happy to see those hawks as I was... 😕

You're right! Seeing them both at the same time really made a difference. The most surprising thing was how much larger the Coopers was!