Whatbird Community

Salton Sea gull ID

I am on the Salton Sea at the state park headquarters - NE shore.   Bill is yellow with red spot and black spot closest to tip.  Legs and feet are obviously pink.  Neck has little to no streaking/wash.  Eye is light yellow iris and maybe a yellow orbital ring.  Back is fairly dark.  Gull is large.  It is a unique individual among the many gulls.  

Only in the National Geographic book shows a Thayer's with the red and black spots on bill. I don't find that marking anywhere else.  If that is accurate it seems that is the closest match although this gull's back seems darker.  Otherwise, the bill looks like a California with the rest of it close to a Herring.

UnknowngullSS-25.jpg

UnknowngullSS-26.jpg

UnknowngullSS-27.jpg

UnknowngullSS-28.jpg

Just now, Tina said:

I am on the Salton Sea at the state park headquarters - NE shore.   Bill is yellow with red spot and black spot closest to tip.  Legs and feet are obviously pink.  Neck has little to no streaking/wash.  Eye is light yellow iris and maybe a yellow orbital ring.  Back is fairly dark.  Gull is large.  It is a unique individual among the many gulls.  

Only in the National Geographic book shows a Thayer's with the red and black spots on bill. I don't find that marking anywhere else.  If that is accurate it seems that is the closest match although this gull's back seems darker.  Otherwise, the bill looks like a California with the rest of it close to a Herring.

UnknowngullSS-25.jpg

UnknowngullSS-26.jpg

UnknowngullSS-27.jpg

UnknowngullSS-28.jpg

For size and back color comparison.