Whatbird Community

49 minutes ago, zoutedrop said:

pls save my sanity by agreeing that this bird does not look like any of the examples provided by Sibley

and BTW, lifebird! a big thanks

Not sure which Sibley you have, but in my Sibley’s 2nd (full US) this bird fits the Adult Nonbreeding on page 204

• Like 2

I am probably beating a dead bird here, but these illustrations are what I was working with. Per my observations (which are typically faulty) 1) my bird is in adult plumage, 2) does not have a yellow beak, 3) has gray legs

thanks again for your help in getting me a lifer, fun anyway you look at it

CCF10092022.jpg

25 minutes ago, zoutedrop said:

I am probably beating a dead bird here, but these illustrations are what I was working with. Per my observations (which are typically faulty) 1) my bird is in adult plumage, 2) does not have a yellow beak, 3) has gray legs

thanks again for your help in getting me a lifer, fun anyway you look at it

CCF10092022.jpg

Color of bare parts (bill, legs, etc.) can vary on birds depending on season. In this case, I wouldn't put too much weight on it as all other factors like bill shape and size and structure clearly point toward Short-billed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Didn’t you know that birds don't always read about dress codes or range maps before going out in public, @zoutedrop:classic_laugh:

I worded my rant incorrectly as I was not questioning the ID, just my frustration that, especially with gulls, a guide doesn't tell you everything you need and poorly tried to explain that. With my lack of discerning color variations, zero auditory skills, and poor memory makes me the perfect nonbirder. There are times that I cringe posting a question because I know in advance that it would be obvious to someone. I have been on this site since 2009 and find that the current group of active participants are excellent and I am very grateful for the help.

Despite my personal frustrations, I keep coming back.....

I am too digital and too old to fix it.

7 minutes ago, zoutedrop said:

especially with gulls, a guide doesn't tell you everything you need

Gulls are super variable and field guides simply do not have enough space to show all possible variations.

The key is to accept that some birds should be left unidentified. Use field guides to figure out the more straightforward individuals. Then use a holistic approach with an emphasis on size and structure (comparing to more straightforward individuals) to help with the more confusing birds.

If you want to get better at gulls you need to spend a lot of time studying the common species and learning their ranges of variation in appearance. Really look at all the common ones, individually, until you get them down.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

The key is to accept that some birds should be left unidentified.

This, with butter and maple syrup and a side of bacon.

8 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

Use field guides to figure out the more straightforward individuals.

Another option is to go beyond general field guides to books specific to gulls.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zoutedrop said:

I worded my rant incorrectly as I was not questioning the ID, just my frustration that, especially with gulls, a guide doesn't tell you everything you need and poorly tried to explain that. With my lack of discerning color variations, zero auditory skills, and poor memory makes me the perfect nonbirder. There are times that I cringe posting a question because I know in advance that it would be obvious to someone. I have been on this site since 2009 and find that the current group of active participants are excellent and I am very grateful for the help.

Despite my personal frustrations, I keep coming back.....

I am too digital and too old to fix it.

It happens to everyone. 

• Thanks 1