Whatbird Community

Welcome to Whatbird! It is a Chukar as The Bird Nuts said.  A wild bird in some areas and a farm-raised bird in others so it may be an escapee.  Where are you located?  I doubt that it is in need of care...it looks perfectly fine to me. If you think it needs food birdseed or cracked corn are good choices and a container with fresh water. 🙂

• Like 3

You might want to read "What to do if you find a baby or injured bird" at the top of the page.

Wild or rather feral Chukars (descended from imported European and Asian birds) live mostly in Utah, Nevada, Idaho, and adjoining states and provinces, as you can see here.  If you're not in that range, it's a domestic bird, and the same is probably true if it doesn't seem afraid of people.  It would most likely be from a game farm.  The owners might well want it back, but  I'd feel something of a dilemma about whether a bird from a game farm is better off hanging around a residential neighborhood, where it might get killed by a cat or dog or car, or on a game farm, in captivity waiting to be shot.  It might depend on the game farm's practices.  I think it could also be someone's pet or ornamental bird.

If it does seem to be sick or injured, not just tame, and you decide to take it to your nearest wildlife center, you might want to call first.  I don't know whether all wildlife centers take escaped domestic birds.

• Like 3