Whatbird Community

Mystery raptor

13 hours ago, blackburnian said:

Agreed. Also, not to doubt the validity of the sighting, but I have seen people tricked by fake GH Owls before...

I was conned once by a life-size, beautifully carved Great Blue Heron.  He even moved around occasionally, being mounted on a swivel and nudged by the breezes.  It wasn't until I viewed the photos at full size until I realized what I was seeing.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Creeker said:

The position of this guy, and his general look....he's real. Not one of those always upright sitting plastic pigeon deterrents.

It's the perch that troubles me.  Why would he choose the relatively small area at the top of the pole?  It strikes me as a terribly difficult landing - no good grip on metal to stop forward momentum.  There appear to be easier horizontal crossbars further down the tower below.

On 11/27/2018 at 7:28 AM, Charlie Spencer said:

It's the perch that troubles me.  Why would he choose the relatively small area at the top of the pole?  It strikes me as a terribly difficult landing - no good grip on metal to stop forward momentum.  There appear to be easier horizontal crossbars further down the tower below.

Those cross bars have vertical projections that look like would hamper its wings, plus someone would have to be unbelievably motivated to climb up and attach a fake owl to that point.:classic_laugh:

Edited by hbvol50

2 hours ago, hbvol50 said:

Those cross bars have vertical projections that look like would hamper its wings, plus someone would have to be unbelievably motivated to climb up and attach a fake owl to that point.:classic_laugh:

Not THOSE crossbars, the ones further down.  If the tower gets wider toward the bottom, I see vultures similarly perched all the time.

As to the motivation, it may have been attached BEFORE they put the tower up  :classic_biggrin:, although planning ahead does seem to be a lost skill.