Whatbird Community

Chestnut-sided Warbler ? and ?? Warbler

Two birds to identify.  I think identifying the second is a stretch, but since I was posting the first bird, I thought I'd throw #2 in and see if it rang any bells.

Bird #1

Bird #1 was photographed in the Ottawa National Wildlife Refuge in northern Ohio on Sept 4.  I only have two poor pictures, but Picture #1 shows a view of the underside of its tail, so I thought it might be possible to identify.   From this view, I honed in on Chestnut-sided Warbler and Golden-winged Warbler as prime candidates.  I don't see an eyering (which could rule out Chestnut-sided), but I'm not sure the picture is good enough to show the eyering if it is there.

When I first looked at Picture #2, I thought the patterns on its back were caused by shadows.  However, I realized the washed out yellow splotch was a pretty good shape match for the shoulder patch on a picture of a Golden-winged I had found.  The shoulder patch looks pretty yellow to me which would lean towards Golden-winged.  However, the crown and nape look yellow-green which favors Chestnut-sided.  I also do not see a dark throat I would expect on a Golden-winged.

I am leaning towards Chestnut-sided because of the color of the crown and back.  They also appear to be more abundant in this area (although there are plenty of GW sightings as well).

Bird #2

This bird was photographed on Sept 3 at the Father Marquette National Monument (near the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan).  Only one poor picture.  I assume this bird is molting (I don't see a tail).   I looked at some warblers that have black on their faces.  I'm wondering if it might be a Hooded Warbler (their molt period extends into September).

Thanks in advance for your help!

Bird #1, Picture #1

1500812746_DSC07506large.thumb.jpg.c120815eee31433e922fa933f89d7937.jpg

Bird #1, Picture #2

134999652_DSC07510large.thumb.jpg.835a94a4c1052d747108948cc2cc60af.jpg

Bird #2

405075008_DSC06983large.thumb.jpg.4ad2667d61e05a4dd52e9d9fb22ece84.jpg

Edited by Jim W

20 minutes ago, blackburnian said:

Agree with 1. Anything other shots of 2? 

No, unfortunately I only got this one crappy shot of bird #2 ?.  For what it's worth, Merlin's first choice is Wilson's and second choice is Hooded.

Edited by Jim W