Whatbird Community

Sleuth on iBird Pro first said 99% confident Blackpoll Warbler with a photo from the right side but I don't think that one migrates through south texas, Port Aransas more specifically.  The second photo with its left side profile Sleuth said 99% confident Bay-breasted Warbler.  I'm leaning to the later as a female.  Image taken 10-27-2018

2018-10-27 Bay-breasted Warbler--1.jpg

2018-10-27 what bird.jpg

That’s certainly a Bay-breasted Warbler. Just another example of why I don’t think using iBird or Merlin is a good way to make IDs. In my opinion it’s a poor replacement for human learning and skill in making bird identifications.

Edited by akiley
  • Like 2

Agree with Bay-breasted Warbler.  The gray toes (as opposed to orange in Blackpolls) is a good ID mark, as is the buff-tinted flanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Agree with Bay-breasted Warbler.  The gray toes (as opposed to orange in Blackpolls) is a good ID mark, as is the buff-tinted flanks.

Thank you.  I noticed those flanks. Appreciate it.

On 11/30/2018 at 8:51 AM, akiley said:

That’s certainly a Bay-breasted Warbler. Just another example of why I don’t think using iBird or Merlin is a good way to make IDs. In my opinion it’s a poor replacement for human learning and skill in making bird identifications.

No app based on neural networks is perfect. But they are right the majority of the time. So customers using the app are finding it a fantastic aid. Don't take my word for it, read the reviews from actual customers of iBird Photo Sleuth. (4.9 out of 5 stars with 53 reviews.) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibird-photo-sleuth/id1364271023?mt=8 .

1 hour ago, Administrator said:

No app based on neural networks is perfect. But they are right the majority of the time. So customers using the app are finding it a fantastic aid. Don't take my word for it, read the reviews from actual customers of iBird Photo Sleuth. (4.9 out of 5 stars with 53 reviews.) https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ibird-photo-sleuth/id1364271023?mt=8 .

I've actually checked it out on a large number of birds, of which I already knew the ID, and it worked great for the majority!  This one I wasn't sure of and then I got two different...between two which are very similar, at least to me. I appreciated the additional clue from The Bird Nuts on the toes...will remember that!

21 hours ago, Deb said:

I've actually checked it out on a large number of birds, of which I already knew the ID, and it worked great for the majority!  This one I wasn't sure of and then I got two different...between two which are very similar, at least to me. I appreciated the additional clue from The Bird Nuts on the toes...will remember that!

Thanks Deb, it's great to hear that iBird Photo Sleuth got so many IDs correct for your photos. This is such a great forum.