Whatbird Community

Confirm Juv Bald Eagle?

I feel that I'm seeing a few too many terse "yes"s on the forum lately. I can second that this is a juvenile Bald Eagle, looking at its irregular white feathers on the underside. Actually, I'm not totally sure that this is a juvenile and not second year Bald Eagle, but I'm assuming that the lack of white feathers on the underside of the body mean this is a juvenile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

I feel that I'm seeing a few too many terse "yes"s on the forum lately.

I think the terse yes answers are fitting when OP already knows the answer and is just looking for confirmation. 

I’m not certain about exact age either but clearly it is a Bald Eagle, as OP originally identified it

• Like 3

Just now, AlexHenry said:

I think the terse yes answers are fitting when OP already knows the answer and is just looking for confirmation. 

I’m not certain about exact age either but clearly it is a Bald Eagle, as OP originally identified it

Yeah, definitely Bald Eagle. I mean, "yes"s are fine, but please, let me have some variety! How about mixing in a few "confirmed"s? 

Many thanks to all for the confirmations.  I had to run and dodge through a pool area to get the shot before this one flew out of view.  In this particular neighborhood, filled with soaring vultures, storks, the odd short-tailed hawk, etc., it was particularly important to get confirmations from experts on this shot.  As for the debate on short versus long answers, allow me to offer the novice's opinion.  I greatly appreciate detailed responses, especially when experts use the response as a teaching moment regarding subtleties of IDs. That said, I know that some of you experts are plowing through huge numbers of postings and are attempting to cover as much territory as possible.  That being the case, I greatly appreciate even the shortest of answers.  Thanks to you all for the effort you put into this platform!  It's a game-changer for new birders.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I wonder if the length of a response is based on the device used?  I’m more verbose on a computer than the phone. 

I think part of it is the individual's mood at the time, too. Sometimes we might be feeling wordy and go to great lengths to express ourselves, and other times we just want to participate while keeping our comments simple. I agree that our devices can greatly influence our participation level, but I think our mood at the time of reading each post is just as big an influence on our participation levels.

Almond Joy and Mounds....Sometimes you feel like a nut....Sometimes you don't.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 1