Whatbird Community

There was a bird that came often to my jelly dish. It taller/thinner than a cardinal. But it had a cardinal's tail feathers. It was gray and might have had a darker marking on its head. Can anyone help?

Can you clarify? It had red tail feathers? Also location can help a ton. Try Gray Catbird though. Or female Northern Cardinal. 

Edited by Melierax

The location was Southern MN. It was all a darker gray with a slightly darker mark on its head. We get indigo buntings here for a brief time...fyi.

• Like 1

Northern Mockingbird or Townsend's Solitaire?  Just trying to think of more gray birds... 🙂

Edited by The Bird Nuts

Yeah I was thinking young Baltimore Oriole as well. Makes sense to be visiting a jelly feeder as well. They have lots of plumages, so make sure to look through lots before you're sure!

5 hours ago, LisaLisa said:

The location was Southern MN. It was all a darker gray with a slightly darker mark on its head. We get indigo buntings here for a brief time...fyi.

You didn't mention what time of year this sighting occurred...Spring, Summer, June, August...it might be helpful to know that information too. 🙂

What about a juvenile European Starling...they are a drab gray and in my experience with them, they will eat almost anything. 

• Like 1