Whatbird Community

This was here before. Post a photo with both species of a similar type, like Greater and Lesser Scaup, Downy and Hairy Woodpeckers, etc.

Cooper's Hawk (left), and Sharp-shinned Hawk (right):

birds-227_orig.jpg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Female Rose-breasted Grosbeaks (left and right) and Purple Finch (middle).

I have always had a hard time distinguishing these two apart when I only get a quick glimpse of them. I'm often second guessing myself about the size of the bird and waffling back and forth on whether it was actually big enough for a grosbeak or small enough to be a finch. When we just get a quick glimpse, my sweetie will often hear me say, "That was a female Rose-breasted Grosbeak...I think." Then she has listen to me explain how hard it can be to judge size and my disclaimer that it might have actually been a female Purple Finch. :classic_laugh:

Here's some not-so-confusing comparisons from today--Belted Kingfisher with a Green Heron, and a Little Blue Heron with a White Ibis.

Belted Kingfisher-Green Heron 8-2-19.JPG

Little Blue Heron-White Ibis 8-2-19.JPG

• Like 5

I had this one posted on the old site before the crash. Thought I'd put it here since I'm sure a lot of people have trouble with these two, and it's very rare to see them together. This is a once-in-a-lifetime shot!!! Hope it helps distinguish them for y'all who have been having trouble when you see one or the other and can't decide which it is.

Common Gallinule (foreground) and American Alligator

11107373064_4147633629_z.jpg1-Fla Trip Nov 2013 096 by Wayne J Smith, on Flickr

• Haha 9