Whatbird Community

Comparisons

Melierax

Just now, Avery said:

Agreed. 

16 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I still think it's a SOSA with the large and sparse white spots on the back/wings and prominent eyering.

Thanks! That's a county bird!

• Like 3

Just now, Connor Cochrane said:

And still pretty early for one as well. May 4th is the peak in Marin, though I'd guess its a little earlier for you.

Yeah, it's the 5th earliest record for SLO county on ebird.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

What is it that looks weird to you, colour variation?  It seemed like a typical Baltimore Oriole to me.

I've never seen one that yellow before. However, I've only seen around 15 of them, so maybe they vary and thats normal.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I've never seen one that yellow before. However, I've only seen around 15 of them, so maybe they vary and thats normal.

No, that’s super yellow for a Baltimore and I’ve seen dozens if not hundreds of them . Kinda neat bird.

Edited by Birding Boy
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

38 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

No, that’s super yellow for a Baltimore and I’ve seen dozens if not hundreds of them . Kinda neat bird.

I do notice brighter and darker birds but never considered any of them to be extreme enough to be of interest. I'll have to pay closer attention from now on. Here's another shot after the Orchard Oriole conceded to his larger cousin.

3S0A8204.thumb.jpg.47d861ebbd50a912087c02b43a173249.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

Great photo of some freakin’ awesome birds!!

Thanks! The Curlew is actually still hanging around & coming into much more colorful breeding plumage. Thinking of going to see it again tomorrow especially now that Wilson's & Red-necked Phalarope as well as Black-necked Stilt have been spotted there!

• Like 3

Just now, stitch58 said:

Thanks! The Curlew is actually still hanging around & coming into much more colorful breeding plumage. Thinking of going to see it again tomorrow especially now that Wilson's & Red-necked Phalarope as well as Black-necked Stilt have been spotted there!

WOW! You should totally do it! I’d love to see the breeding plumage photos.

• Like 1