Whatbird Community

Plover, Black-bellied or American Golden

In October there was a lone plover at Reed Lake. There was no sun shining on the plover but we thought we could see yellow/golden flecks on the back looking in our camera screens. I have done a lot of looking at both winter and juveniles photos for both plovers. They do look a lot alike. Any further clues on differences would be appreciated. 

E695AE1D-5D1A-4A45-B80E-4F1F1F3BE99C.jpeg

5AFFC8EE-322D-43C1-8760-9D5C27CDB0AB.jpeg

0839C75C-5E58-4EA0-AD8E-52A52D1BB95E.jpeg

279CDF37-C809-484E-99F6-91A3D28C9DF2.jpeg

08AB2FD7-DA13-4D4F-AA4D-56F60BA92E81.jpeg

• Like 1

With a big bill like that, Black-bellied. Golden are very dainty in appearance, and have a dark cap that really contrasts with their supercilium (eyebrow), so they have a very distinct facial pattern. I usually find their back appears a bit more golden as well. Habitat can actually be a very good indication as well, I've never seen a Golden Plover near big water, always dry fields, although I'm sure it could happen.

Thanks for all your input. I need to look in new places come spring! The Black-bellied plovers were at that lake along with the Red Knots in May so that was pretty exciting. I’m finding that fall has been a real test for me! Thanks again. 

• Like 1