Whatbird Community
Cloebird

Franklin gull and then what?

Could this one gull be anything other than a Franklins? It has no bold white eye-arc. It’s eyes are red if you look close. Taken May 7 at Reed Lake, SK. 

CAD0AC7B-B047-48FA-ABCE-1F8B68B80A63.jpeg

D526ECDD-DFAC-4EFF-AA65-5F1A76630537.jpeg

Everything but the missing eye crescents looks right for Franklin's, so I have no idea. 🤷‍♀️ Just a weird one?

4 hours ago, Cloebird said:

Red eyes also meghann? I couldn’t find anything that said otherwise but they normally look dark to me. 

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I just don't know of any other gulls with a black head and white spots on the primaries like that. 

1 hour ago, meghann said:

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

I just don't know of any other gulls with a black head and white spots on the primaries like that. 

Yes, there's no other species that shows these characteristics. Options here are either an aberrant Franklin's or a hybrid with another species. I'll do a little research.

We used to have a gull guy back in the day named Aberrant. It's a bummer when we lose specialized members like that!

There was a very similar bird posted to the North American Gulls Facebook page a few years ago, red eye and all. One suggestion was Ring-billed x Franklin's. 

Yes, I'm puzzled too. That's interesting about the the Gulls Facebook page. I'll do some further research on the suggestion. Fabulous! It gives me a direction.