Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Recommended Posts

I'm a first time user of this forum.  I hope you can help me ID this bird.  The bird was perhaps bigger than a robin but smaller than a crow.  I shot pics of it in the late afternoon near the end of November in the woods of upper Rock Creek Park in Montgomery County, Maryland.  It was pretty high up-- maybe 30 or 40 feet?  It may have been part of a small group, but the other birds were in the area but not close-by.  I made a composite image out of 8 photos-- cropping in on the subject.  These are all the same particular bird.  I suspect it is a red-bellied or downy woodpecker, but it seems to have the wrong head color arrangement. I'd like to hear your ID, and why you think so.  If there is more info you'd like from me, please ask.

Thanks,

Gnuser

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How's the snow?  Thanks for explaining about the sex differences among red-bellied woodpeckers.  I wasn't sure about the size, it being so high up. 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, gnuser said:

How's the snow?  Thanks for explaining about the sex differences among red-bellied woodpeckers.  I wasn't sure about the size, it being so high up. 

Thanks!

Size can be very difficult to judge.  It's easier when you have two different birds side by side, or when a bird is near an object of known size (2x4, mailbox, etc.).  On the other hand, birds at distance or overhead can be challenging.

None of that white nonsense here in central SC.  I'd have to go a hundred miles or so to the north or northwest before I'd run into any of that ... stuff.  Two days of steady rain and temps below 40 are keeping my feeders mobbed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just echoing the others as being a red-bellied woodpecker, likely a female as the red “cap” is less prominent as it doesn’t extend as far forward as a male red-bellowed . 🙂

Edited by Winter
additional info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I felt the OP and Winter in particular merited a response from Southern Ontario (ski hills have been open for a week). I don't just shoot birds.

Thanks for all the assistance over the past few weeks and Happy Holidays.

Arboretum Wintery Day-3018.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, RobinHood said:

I felt the OP and Winter in particular merited a response from Southern Ontario (ski hills have been open for a week). I don't just shoot birds.

Thanks for all the assistance over the past few weeks and Happy Holidays.

Arboretum Wintery Day-3018.jpg

Gorgeous!

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

None of that white nonsense here in central SC.  I'd have to go a hundred miles or so to the north or northwest before I'd run into any of that ... stuff.  Two days of steady rain and temps below 40 are keeping my feeders mobbed.

I'll take all of the "white nonsense" I can get in all of its wonderful forms. And also a hint of frostbite and a touch of snow blindness. Alas here in GA no such luck. Family in NC and VA made out quite nicely:

Snow.JPG

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, RobinHood said:

I felt the OP and Winter in particular merited a response from Southern Ontario (ski hills have been open for a week). I don't just shoot birds.

Thanks for all the assistance over the past few weeks and Happy Holidays.

Arboretum Wintery Day-3018.jpg

Gorgeous! Thanks for the wintry namesake shout-out! Enjoy your holiday and the quiet beauty up North! I’m a smidge jealous as I can’t wait to get some skiing in! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...