Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Paul Contreras

Eastern Wood-Pewee call?

I’ve been hearing this bird call play throughout a popular video game 

(note: this is not my video and ignore the crude humor of the video title) 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GNFpEpXmCHs" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bird call starts at 00:02 and ends at 00:10

Edited by Paul Contreras

I don't think this is any kind of bird at all.  It may be a mash up of "bird sounds."  I think I hear a little American Goldfinch but nothing that sounds like an Eastern Wood-Pewee.  Television/media is notorious for adding bird sounds without giving much thought into it.  If you watch a Western and you see a shot of a Vulture or even an Eagle you will hear the classic song of a Red-tailed Hawk.  My favorite is the bird sounds the piped into golf tournaments.  If the PGA doesn't do any research on what birds might be heard on a Hawaiian golf course, why should anyone care about background birdsong in a fantasy video game.  At least the Hunger Games got creative with their "Mockingjay."

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Metaquatic said:

I don't think this is any kind of bird at all.  It may be a mash up of "bird sounds."  I think I hear a little American Goldfinch but nothing that sounds like an Eastern Wood-Pewee.  Television/media is notorious for adding bird sounds without giving much thought into it.  If you watch a Western and you see a shot of a Vulture or even an Eagle you will hear the classic song of a Red-tailed Hawk.  My favorite is the bird sounds the piped into golf tournaments.  If the PGA doesn't do any research on what birds might be heard on a Hawaiian golf course, why should anyone care about background birdsong in a fantasy video game.  At least the Hunger Games got creative with their "Mockingjay."

You know what I was thinking along the same lines of a lesser goldfinch, than as I was hearing it I was confused since goldfinches don’t stick with the same tune repeated, they make a variety of chirps, and chatters and it’s interchangeable.  So my next best guess was a tyrant flycatcher since it does remind me of a Phoebe call.

youre right, I didn’t consider it to be some sort of mix.

But this game does of legit bird calls like the mockingbird, red-breasted nuthatch, northern flicker, black-necked stilt, western wood-peewee, house wren to name a few