Whatbird Community

Confirm Great-horned Owl

52 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Ty - If I don't get this, I'll get something similar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

Unidentifiable.

9 hours ago, Avery said:

This could easily be the wind. How are you recording these?

Guys,

My YouTube videos sound don't always get the point across, as quality is lost with multiple re-recordings at different volume levels, + the YouTube compression.  Pls first (if you have the app) listen to the Great Horned OWL PP1 sound from iBird pro.  Then, turn up your volume a lot and listen to the original recording from the Ebird link.  My recording to me, sounds exactly like the hooting patterns of the app's sound clip.  If you don't have iBird pro, pls watch this first.  The first hoots sound like my audio:

My sound clip:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/504995261 

3 hours ago, dragon49 said:

Guys,

My YouTube videos sound don't always get the point across, as quality is lost with multiple re-recordings at different volume levels, + the YouTube compression.  Pls first (if you have the app) listen to the Great Horned OWL PP1 sound from iBird pro.  Then, turn up your volume a lot and listen to the original recording from the Ebird link.  My recording to me, sounds exactly like the hooting patterns of the app's sound clip.  If you don't have iBird pro, pls watch this first.  The first hoots sound like my audio:

My sound clip:

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/504995261 

I agree that the cadence in the recording matches the pattern of a GHOW call. But, I have on many occasions heard that same cadence over and over again only to realize it’s coming from either dogs, wind, etc. Also, I’m not sure how it is down there in Florida or in other parts of the country, but I have never heard a great horned owl sing later than dawn. I would highly suggest for the future when you get a notification that the app is picking up an owl, to stop and try to specifically record that sound. Often times I won’t even report an owl, because of how easily their calls can be imitated by either other species or external inanimate things, or purely imagined by my overactive imagination. 

Also, a quick audio tip. If you’re already editing your recordings, I would suggest that the only editing you need to do would be trimming down the length, removing unwanted frequencies, then boosting your final mix. For example, with this recording, I would remove all frequencies above 2 kHz, because great horned owl songs are so low. It won’t give you a great sounding recording, but it will be way easier to identify. All of my recordings have some form of EQ or filter, and the hood ones it’s barely noticeable between the original and final files. 

• Like 3

as quality is lost with multiple re-recordings at different volume levels, + the YouTube compression.  :

I realize I didn’t mention this in my post just now, but what you are trying to do can be done much easier using any free music making software, or DAWs (think GarageBand) without losing quality. If your interested I can give you some recommendations. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Avery said:

I have never heard a great horned owl sing later than dawn

I've heard Great-horned Owls hooting and calling back and forth to one another three to four hours before sunset a good number of times before. The list says this bird was heard at 4:51, which I would guess would be plenty late enough. 

To be honest, the recording sounds a lot like a Rock Pigeon or some other dove to me, but I really don't think it's identifiable. 

Edited by Aidan B
  • Like 1

A local reviewer couldn't confirm an owl call from my audio, so based on all the replies, and his non-confirmation, I deleted the observation.  Disappointing, but I'll be birding the rest of my life, and have plenty of time to get this lifer.

Merlin did not report the Owl.  I came to my own conclusion.  Perhaps some confirmation bias was in place, as there are known owl nests in the area where the sound was coming from, and my Barred Owl observation from a call at the exact location was confirmed.

A few things regarding recording.  Can I assume quality and reach of a digital recorder is far superior to my iPhone's built-in mic?  I'm probably going to add one more thing to have to carry with me on birding trips.  I'll have to get some kind of a belt clip, as my pockets are sometimes full, with my iPhone in one side and a battery pack in the other.  Is it OK to use the recorder like this, or occasionally in my pocket, or is it better to point it in the direction of the call, or suspected call?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dragon49 said:

A local reviewer couldn't confirm an owl call from my audio, so based on all the replies, and his non-confirmation, I deleted the observation.  Disappointing, but I'll be birding the rest of my life, and have plenty of time to get this lifer.

Merlin did not report the Owl.  I came to my own conclusion.  Perhaps some confirmation bias was in place, as there are known owl nests in the area where the sound was coming from, and my Barred Owl observation from a call at the exact location was confirmed.

A few things regarding recording.  Can I assume quality and reach of a digital recorder is far superior to my iPhone's built-in mic?  I'm probably going to add one more thing to have to carry with me on birding trips.  I'll have to get some kind of a belt clip, as my pockets are sometimes full, with my iPhone in one side and a battery pack in the other.  Is it OK to use the recorder like this, or occasionally in my pocket, or is it better to point it in the direction of the call, or suspected call?

I only use my phone, plus an external mic that plugs into the headphone dongle, and then into the phone.  Very much i proves the recording quality.  

22 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

I just ordered it from your link.  Pls let me know what, if any, microphone sensitivity settings, or any other settings you changed from the defaults for birding.

13 hours ago, Avery said:

I realize I didn’t mention this in my post just now, but what you are trying to do can be done much easier using any free music making software, or DAWs (think GarageBand) without losing quality. If your interested I can give you some recommendations. 

Ty - I can figure this out.  My main problem was just getting audio links to work on the forum, since for some weird reason I don't understand, direct and embedded SoundCloud links are very problematic on forums.  So, I would end up recording a video with my iPhone while playing a wav file from my laptop.  The volume level to use was always a challenge.  Then, I'd upload those to YouTube or Imgur.  Those recordings from my iPhone near the speaker are worse than the original, and they got worse with the sites' audio compression algorithms.  Other than editing out non-call time, the only post-processing I do for bird call clips is occasionally amplifying with Audacity.  I do try to remain true to science and Ebird's standards, but for some calls, like the distant Barred Owl calls, and my recent Eastern Whip-poor-will observation, amplification was necessary to get easily recognizable audio.

Edited by dragon49

2 hours ago, dragon49 said:

I just ordered it from your link.  Pls let me know what, if any, microphone sensitivity settings, or any other settings you changed from the defaults for birding.

Ty - I can figure this out.  My main problem was just getting audio links to work on the forum, since for some weird reason I don't understand, direct and embedded SoundCloud links are very problematic on forums.  So, I would end up recording a video with my iPhone while playing a wav file from my laptop.  The volume level to use was always a challenge.  Then, I'd upload those to YouTube or Imgur.  Those recordings from my iPhone near the speaker are worse than the original, and they got worse with the sites' audio compression algorithms.  Other than editing out non-call time, the only post-processing I do for bird call clips is occasionally amplifying with Audacity.  I do try to remain true to science and Ebird's standards, but for some calls, like the distant Barred Owl calls, and my recent Eastern Whip-poor-will observation, amplification was necessary to get easily recognizable audio.

I just put batteries in it and recorded birds. I use audacity to edit my recordings.

• Thanks 1

Audacity has a Graphic EQ and Amplify. The amplifier would skip the step of recording playback using your phone, which greatly reduces quality. The EQ can be used to isolate frequencies to help in ID

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avery said:

Audacity has a Graphic EQ and Amplify. The amplifier would skip the step of recording playback using your phone, which greatly reduces quality. The EQ can be used to isolate frequencies to help in ID

I just realized that I could have used any tool to make a silent YouTube video and just add the audio.  No need for my convoluted process.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dragon49 said:

Do you keep in in your pocket, or will it pick up more and/or record better quality sounds if it is outsider the body?

I hold it in my hand and point it at the direction of the bird. if i am trying to photograph the bird and record it, i will either put the recorder on the ground, or hold it with my knees. it picks up, and seems to amplify bird sounds.

• Thanks 1

@dragon49

I'm not sure of you've seen this resource, but ebird has a bunch of great tips for recording birds that would probably help increase the quality of your recordings AND make them easier for us to identify! Some of the article probably won't apply, but most of it will.

https://ebird.freshdesk.com/en/support/solutions/articles/48001064298

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1