Whatbird Community

Making another bird coloring book!

Hi folks. I'm brainstorming about doing another coloring book, and I'm looking for suggestions.

I'd like to take a global focus this time, with a focus on birds with interesting appearances and characteristics (biggest bird, birds in cold and hot climate, birds that fly long distances, etc.). I'd probably focus on several birds from each continent, with more text alongside the illustrations.

I'm sure there are lots of books about "extreme" birds like this (although mine can be colored!), so I'm still in the brainstorming stage. Is there anything in particular you all would like in a book like this? Some activities scattered throughout? Bird-themed recipes? An educational focus on bird-related topics? Any ideas? Thanks!

• Like 2

• Kevin featured and pinned this topic
On 11/26/2022 at 6:53 PM, GracesWarbler said:

Hi folks. I'm brainstorming about doing another coloring book, and I'm looking for suggestions.

I'd like to take a global focus this time, with a focus on birds with interesting appearances and characteristics (biggest bird, birds in cold and hot climate, birds that fly long distances, etc.). I'd probably focus on several birds from each continent, with more text alongside the illustrations.

I'm sure there are lots of books about "extreme" birds like this (although mine can be colored!), so I'm still in the brainstorming stage. Is there anything in particular you all would like in a book like this? Some activities scattered throughout? Bird-themed recipes? An educational focus on bird-related topics? Any ideas? Thanks!

I like the idea!

Personally I think doing some birds that are require a very specific habitat would be neat, birds like Limpkin or Golden-cheeked Warbler. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

I like the idea!

Personally I think doing some birds that are require a very specific habitat would be neat, birds like Limpkin or Golden-cheeked Warbler. 

Anther one I really like, that is along a similar line is the Torrent Duck, I know there is a lot of great options, but since you asked for ideas.....

• Like 2

On 11/28/2022 at 10:14 AM, Kevin said:

I like the idea!

That's a neat idea! A topic that I'm interested in is "bird and the weather". Basically, since birds spend a lot of time in the air and live in extreme climates, what sort of interesting interactions do they have with the weather? Sort of expanding on the question of "where do birds go when it rains?"

If I'm doing another coloring book, I'd like to focus on bird that are colorful and visually interesting. Most of my photos are in the Southwest, so I would have to ask people (either here, on ebird, or elsewhere) to use their photos.

Let me know what sort of fun topics you all would like to see in a bird book!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

I'd like to focus on bird that are colorful and visually interesting. Most of my photos are in the Southwest, so I would have to ask people (either here, on ebird, or elsewhere) to use their photos.

You are welcome to any of my photos!

Purple Gallinules are really pretty!

https://media.ebird.org/catalog?taxonCode=purgal2&mediaType=photo&userId=USER1188965

• Like 2

On 11/30/2022 at 6:50 AM, Kevin said:

You are welcome to any of my photos!

Purple Gallinules are really pretty!

https://media.ebird.org/catalog?taxonCode=purgal2&mediaType=photo&userId=USER1188965

Wow, the toes on those are crazy!

I think I'll start a series on "charismatic" birds from around the world -- starting with a favorite of mine: the American White Pelican. I left some room to add text to this page, to explain why these birds are so cool.

If you have a suggestion for a charismatic bird (even better, if you also have a photo I can use), let me know. Here's my Birds of the Southwest book: https://www.amazon.com/Birds-Southwest-Coloring-Book-Michael/dp/B0BHN5B8SB

AmericanWhitePelican.png

• Like 1

20 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

If you have a suggestion for a charismatic bird (even better, if you also have a photo I can use), let me know.

Can't help much with out of America but your welcome to any of my photos.

(photos in the links)

Certainly the first bird that would come to my mind is Painted Buntings!

Yellow-crowned Night-Herons are neat to.

Crested Caracara

Who doesn't love Wood Ducks?

Burrowing Owl

I always think all night birds are really cool, and Common Nighthawks are no exception.

• Like 1

On 12/6/2022 at 5:51 PM, Kevin said:

Can't help much with out of America but your welcome to any of my photos.

(photos in the links)

Certainly the first bird that would come to my mind is Painted Buntings!

Yellow-crowned Night-Herons are neat to.

Crested Caracara

Who doesn't love Wood Ducks?

Burrowing Owl

I always think all night birds are really cool, and Common Nighthawks are no exception.

On 12/6/2022 at 6:01 PM, Kevin said:

How could I forget about Vermilion Flycatcher!

Don't have very good pics sadly. https://media.ebird.org/catalog?taxonCode=verfly&mediaType=photo&userId=USER1188965

Those are great!  I especially like that first Painted Bunting picture. It's definitely colorful enough for a coloring book!  I might take you up on your offer (but December is a busy time for me, so it might not be soon).

Here's a Wilson's Warbler, which I dressed up for the season.

WilsonsWarbler_BirdyClaus.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's an Allen's Hummingbird! Thanks to @IKLland for letting me use their wonderful photo.

I think my ideas for a new coloring book are starting to come together. I want to have birds from around the world, together with some text about cool features and regional adaptations. Maybe a few activities thrown in for variety.

If anyone here wants to let me use their photos, let me know.

AllensHummingbird.png

• Like 6

It’s Warbler time! A Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, and Wilson’s Warbler. Now I just need to figure out some interesting text about Warblers for the right side. Ideas? I chose Warblers with some yellow. It seems like lots of Warblers have yellow or orange.

warblers.png

warblers.png

warblers.png

Edited by GracesWarbler

9 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

Here's a Painted Bunting! (Photo courtesy of @Kevin!)

I left some room at the top, so I can talk a bit about the wonderful range of colors in birds.

PaintedBunting.png

Like it! Can't see the warblers though....

Also, just to be clear, your welcome to all my photos, not just the ones I gave links to. https://media.ebird.org/catalog?mediaType=photo&searchField=user&userId=USER1188965&sort=rating_rank_desc&unconfirmed=incl

• Like 2