Whatbird Community

Making another bird coloring book!

On 1/18/2023 at 2:52 PM, SirVive said:

How about some interesting facts about Graces Warbler 😋

Haha, nice idea! Here's a pair of Rosy-faced Lovebirds. I've left some room below to talk about a topic -- perhaps courtship. (Is this pair courting, or do friends do this?)

If anyone has colorful/interesting bird photos, I'm always on the lookout for new images!

RosyFacedLovebirds.png

• Like 4

On 1/21/2023 at 7:43 PM, GracesWarbler said:

Haha, nice idea! Here's a pair of Rosy-faced Lovebirds. I've left some room below to talk about a topic -- perhaps courtship. (Is this pair courting, or do friends do this?)

If anyone has colorful/interesting bird photos, I'm always on the lookout for new images!

RosyFacedLovebirds.png

I have added some good photos to my ebird. Feel free to use them.

https://media.ebird.org/catalog?mediaType=photo&searchField=user&userId=USER2267711&regionCode=US&unconfirmed=incl&view=grid

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Birds are cool said:

Great photos! I love the little Carolina Wren. I may reach out to you in the future about using some pictures.

For now, I'm adding some international birds! Here's a Southern Red-billed Hornbill from South Africa.

SouthernRedBilledHornbill.png

• Like 6

For some pages, I'd like to add some text or an activity. To experiment, I added a bird-watching activity to this page!

What do you think? Should I provide some more structure? For example, I could add the words "date", "time", "species", "number", and "notes" on some lines, to prompt the observer. It's aimed more at beginners than experienced observers. Anything else?

bird_watching_activity_page.png

bird_watching_activity_page.pdf

• Like 3

9 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

For example, I could add the words "date", "time", "species", "number", and "notes" on some lines, to prompt the observer.

Structure would probably be helpful. 
I would do it something like this:

Species:                                  Date:             
Time:             Count:        Notes:

of course it’s entirely up to you to decide what you want to do.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

For some pages, I'd like to add some text or an activity. To experiment, I added a bird-watching activity to this page!

What do you think? Should I provide some more structure? For example, I could add the words "date", "time", "species", "number", and "notes" on some lines, to prompt the observer. It's aimed more at beginners than experienced observers. Anything else?

bird_watching_activity_page.png

bird_watching_activity_page.pdf 676.25 kB · 1 download

I like @Snake Fingers idea as well.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

@GracesWarbler The pages are looking great!  How did your bird talk go?

Thanks, the talk went well! I talked about Birds and the Weather. Stuff like how birds stand on ice without apparent discomfort, what they do in storms, etc. I'll add some of that information to the new coloring book, since it's a favorite topic of mine. Have any of you had fun birding-related experiences, recently? Any new bird illustration projects, @The Bird Nuts?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

Thanks, the talk went well! I talked about Birds and the Weather. Stuff like how birds stand on ice without apparent discomfort, what they do in storms, etc. I'll add some of that information to the new coloring book, since it's a favorite topic of mine. Have any of you had fun birding-related experiences, recently? Any new bird illustration projects, @The Bird Nuts?

That's great to hear!  I am working on a calendar with watercolor bird paintings.  I have also started a plein air painting group and our first meetup is planned for April.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

That's great to hear!  I am working on a calendar with watercolor bird paintings.  I have also started a plein air painting group and our first meetup is planned for April.

That sounds great! Outdoor painting sounds like a wonderful way to spend an few hours. Will you make your calendar available for purchase, or is it a friend/family sort of thing?

• Like 2

Also, I worked on some more pages today!

I wanted to give readers an idea of how large Ostriches are, so I made the Ostrich life-sized (if printed on 8.5 x 11" paper). I think it needs something, though, so I might go back and work on it some more later on.  Regarding "extreme" birds, does anyone have a photo of a Bee Hummingbird (the smallest bird) that I can use?  I'd like to make another page with a Bee Hummingbird at life size!  (It would be a small picture.)

GrayParrot.png

CommonOstrich.png

• Like 4

5 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

That sounds great! Outdoor painting sounds like a wonderful way to spend an few hours. Will you make your calendar available for purchase, or is it a friend/family sort of thing?

Yeah, I'm excited to learn to paint outdoors and do it with like-minded people.  I plan to make the calendar available for purchase, although I can't say I've found a way to make it very affordable. 😕

• Like 2

12 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yeah, I'm excited to learn to paint outdoors and do it with like-minded people.  I plan to make the calendar available for purchase, although I can't say I've found a way to make it very affordable. 😕

Great! Let us know when it's available. I love your art.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Here's a Greater Flamingo! On a 8.5 by 11" page, it should be life sized. I want to add a bit of text in the middle about beaks, since flamingos have interesting beaks!

I'd love to get some birds from other continents! Anyone have bird pictures I could use from continents other than North America? I'd especially love to use pictures of Blue-footed Boobies, any sort of penguin, a Bee Hummingbird, or any sort of parrot.

GreaterFlamingo.png

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I'm participating in an "Audubon Fun Day" next weekend! I'll have a little table to give away copies of my coloring book, but I want people to answer trivia questions before they get a copy. Do you all have any good bird trivia? I want relatively easy questions that kids/families could make educated guesses at. Here's a few that I've come up with so far:

What is the largest bird in the world?

Name one bird that lives in Antarctica.

What’s the state bird of Arizona?

Any other good questions along these lines? Or suggestions for making a fun table? I'll have some pages and colored pencils that people can use at the table, if they want.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

I'm participating in an "Audubon Fun Day" next weekend! I'll have a little table to give away copies of my coloring book, but I want people to answer trivia questions before they get a copy. Do you all have any good bird trivia? I want relatively easy questions that kids/families could make educated guesses at. Here's a few that I've come up with so far:

What is the largest bird in the world?

Name one bird that lives in Antarctica.

What’s the state bird of Arizona?

Any other good questions along these lines? Or suggestions for making a fun table? I'll have some pages and colored pencils that people can use at the table, if they want.

Sounds like fun! 

Birds that can't fly

Maybe smallest and largest

• Like 3