Whatbird Community

Making another bird coloring book!

Thanks for playing, @Kevin and @lonestranger! It's fun to see people test the things that you've made. You're right on all counts.

I'd love to get some feedback. Do you think any of the clues are confusing or too obtuse? For the second puzzle, I wanted to highlight some fascinating or notable birds from around the world. Does the "birding expedition" theme work for you?

For the first puzzle, I got some feedback that the "Gray _______" clue was too hard. I wanted an easier puzzle that focuses on basic bird "types," and thought that "parrot" was a good addition. For the second puzzle, a few of the birds (like the Arctic Tern) are mentioned earlier in the book that this will be in, but in general it's meant to be harder. To help, I added the note that birders often use websites or guides. Is the difficulty about right?

If anyone is looking for more, I've attached Global Birding Expedition 2!

Crossword3_Expedition2.pdf

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Looking for feedback: I'm working on the front and back covers for the book. I'm a bit colorblind, but I want to make sure that the colors are alright. (They don't have to be perfect.) Do any of the color below look strange?

Cover: Bald Eagle, Osprey, Scarlet Macaw, Lesser Goldfinch, Keel-billed Toucan, and Short-eared Owl.

Back cover: Yellow Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, and Wilson's Warbler.

Thanks!

Colorful_Intro_to_Birds_cover1_front.png

Colorful_Intro_to_Birds_cover2_back.png

3 hours ago, SirVive said:

The back of the yellowthroat looks a little odd matching the grass stem right behind him. Love the 'watercolor' background though 

Thanks!

2 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

It looks great!  The Lesser Goldfinch's head and shoulder are a bit too green, like the Common Yellowthroat.  And the horizontal stripe on the toucan's bill is brown when it should be orange.

Thanks! By “…like the Common Yellowthroat,” do you mean that it’s also too green? And for the horizontal stripe on the toucan’s bill, do you mean the lower part of the upper bill?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GracesWarbler said:

Thanks! By “…like the Common Yellowthroat,” do you mean that it’s also too green? And for the horizontal stripe on the toucan’s bill, do you mean the lower part of the upper bill?

Yes, you are correct.  Sorry about my poor wording!

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Is this better? I changed the color of the Lesser Goldfinch and Common Yellowthroat, as well as the orange part of the Toucan's bill. (And I colored the owl a bit more.)

Edited by GracesWarbler
Added more info.

On 1/1/2024 at 6:29 PM, GracesWarbler said:

Is this better? I changed the color of the Lesser Goldfinch and Common Yellowthroat, as well as the orange part of the Toucan's bill. (And I colored the owl a bit more.)

It's definitely better.  Maybe not the colors I would choose, but I don't know how accurate you want to be.  I'm a rather picky artist when it comes to color so you might never finish it if you listen to me! :classic_tongue:

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

It's definitely better.  Maybe not the colors I would choose, but I don't know how accurate you want to be.  I'm a rather picky artist when it comes to color so you might never finish it if you listen to me! :classic_tongue:

Thanks. I wanted to use a somewhat limited color palette, and all of the colors are sampled from photos of colorful birds. For example, the red on the macaw comes from the epaulet of a red-winged blackbird. Perhaps this is confusing, but since it’s a book about bird colors, I wanted to play around with bird colors.

Anyway, like I said, I’m a little colorblind, so I don’t want to fiddle with the colors too much. I’ll use this as a working version and consider revising it further before publication. Thanks again!

• Like 1