Whatbird Community

This bird visited my back yard around 8 am today and hung out for 30 minutes or so. It appeared that the bird wanted in the house as I have removed the screens from the windows, they are extremely clean and I have many indoor live plants which are quite large. The bird also tried to fly through the window two times from literally 3 inches away, off the back of a chair. We have a nighthawk  that visits use frequently in the evening, especially in the summer diving over the top of our pool, thought maybe the same but very different beak, more hawk like. We do live on the edge of the dessert, closest home to my south is 45 miles away, open range in between.  Thanks for any input you all can provide.

DSC07850.JPG

DSC07852.JPG

DSC07848.JPG

DSC07849.JPG

• Like 1

Welcome to Whatbird!

That is an American Kestrel, a species of falcon.  It is a female with the heavily barred back and streaked breast.  Beautiful bird!

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Bird Brain said:

I agree with American Kestrel, male, for the reasons The Bird Nuts stated.

However this is a female. TBN was stating what a male would show(and what this bird does not have) Definitely a female.

2 hours ago, birdbrain22 said:

However this is a female. TBN was stating what a male would show(and what this bird does not have) Definitely a female.

My bad!!! I meant female, for the reasons TBN stated. Must be getting old............. Nah!!! :classic_tongue:

Edited by Bird Brain