Whatbird Community

2023 Year Lists

Zoroark

On 10/19/2023 at 6:35 PM, PaulK said:

This trip has now brought 23 FOY and 13 lifers. 

I love trips like that. Not sure I'll have a trip with that many lifers unless I go to the Bering Sea islands, or leave the country.

Edited by Peromyscus
  • Like 2

Added 4 birds to my year list these past few days, including 2 state birds! The annual Nelson’s and LeConte’s Sparrows, and vagrant Surf Scoter and today’s Red Phalarope bring me up to 272/297 for the year! (TN/World). I am now ahead of last years world list pace by 2 species. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Excluding exotics, I'm sitting at 340 for the year (down from 341 due to the Western Flycatcher merge). Plans are underway for a final trip of the year that may increase that and give me a chance at beating last year (eBird says 364 countable for 2022 now). I didn't really care about my 2023 year list much at the end of last year, but I didn't expect the Texas trip to really boost my numbers like it did. I'm at 47 lifers for the year with the chance of a few more, but very unlikely to reach last year's 68. I am almost certain I'm never going to have a year as good as that regarding lifers in the ABA area again. (Elsewhere in the world, however…)

Like 2022, however, this is more of an incidental list of seizing opportunities rather than seriously trying to do a Big Year.

• Like 2

Im at 187 for California Year and 227 for World Year, I can definitely get to my targets if I head to the coast and do some rarity chasing, probably will be easier if i head out of county. My most needed possible without heading out of the Bay Area birds are Buff-bellied Pipit, Western Grebe, and Herring Gull.

• Like 2

Finally got over to see the juvie Black-crowned Night Heron that is hanging out with the Limpkin, so at 202 now for the year.  Also managed what looked like the same Long-tailed Duck just before sunset.  Looked like the same one that has eluded everyone else but me in the past week.  

• Like 3

Managed a Red-necked Grebe to get county total to 203.  For about 30 seconds I thought I had a Western candidate.  Sun was washing it out, and it had its neck extended quite a bit.  It swam in amongst some Ring-billed Gulls, Goldeneyes and Herring Gull...so the size shot that down quick.  Finally some pics and better scope looks showed me the error of my ways on the field marks too.  

• Like 4

FOY Cackling Goose today, 204 for the county this year.  One of 3 birds I've gotten every year but this one, up to today.  Now to get out and find a Screech-Owl.  Left my county to try for Red Crossbills.  Thought I heard them a couple times but there was always a car passing by, so wasn't sure.  Did get FOY Pine Siskin though.  That made this year's U.S. total 253, tied for 2nd best year.  

• Like 2

Short-eared Owls put me at 205 for the year.  Should be able to get Barred and Eastern-Screech Owl to get this to be my 3rd highest year.  Not too bad.  County is one away from tying best year at 226 from last year.  

It also put me at 254 in the U.S. for the year, my 2nd best.  

Edited by chipperatl
  • Like 5

You folks on the California coast have it easy. ūüėĀ

Anyway, between the California trip and two lifers today (see the checklist thread), I'm at 380 countable for the year (381 with both PSFL/COFL). That's already more than last year, but I can almost certainly count the remaining birds for the year on one hand. There are three other active vagrants I haven't gotten this year:

• Rufous-backed Robin at Corn Creek
  • Long-tailed Duck at Willow Beach (potential lifer)
  • White-winged Scoter at Willow Beach (potential lifer)

Other uncommon birds for December that are still absent from my year list:

• Burrowing Owl
  • Cackling Goose (hasn't been seen since October)
  • Cactus Wren
  • Sagebrush Sparrow (potential lifer)
  • LeConte's Thrasher (potential lifer)
  • Merlin

There are plenty of other scarcities that show up from time to time. I've got tomorrow plus four more weekends.

I will again state that I don't really plan to care about my year list in 2024, but we intend to get our passports soon, so perhaps an international trip might change my tune. Or perhaps not.

Edited by Zoroark
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

#207 Pine Siskin yesterday, and #208 Glaucous Gull today.  Almost turned back around on the Glaucous as it was getting very dark and rainy on the 30 minute drive to it.  Luckily it was just light enough, and another bird helped me to get on it when the flocked lifted just as I arrived.  Also it stuck out like a sore thumb in the big group of Ringers.  

• Like 4

On 12/17/2023 at 6:02 PM, chipperatl said:

#207 Pine Siskin yesterday, and #208 Glaucous Gull today.  Almost turned back around on the Glaucous as it was getting very dark and rainy on the 30 minute drive to it.  Luckily it was just light enough, and another bird helped me to get on it when the flocked lifted just as I arrived.  Also it stuck out like a sore thumb in the big group of Ringers.  

Somehow managed 3 more FOY today to get to #211 in the county.  First I had a Merlin because i decided to turn down one road, instead of another to get on the highway.  Then I stopped at a spot that has had Barred Owls.  Did some playback, and got nothing.  As I went to leave I happened to glance back and noticed a shape in a tree.  It was on opposite side of the road I expected, but it was Barred Owl starting at this idiot playing calls.  Then stopped at an Eastern Screech-Owl spot and managed to get one to trill to playback. 

• Like 3