Whatbird Community

2023 Year Lists

Zoroark

Starting off in the north, I’m up to 52. Missed a few species I had at the end of last year, but it’s also been a weird start to winter in VT. There are still dabblers hanging around, mixing in with the usual divers, we’ve got a decent amount of irruptive finches (so far I’m only missing HORE for the winter, unsurprisingly), and there’s been a really low amount of winter raptors (SNOW, SEOW, RLHA, NOHA, abieticola RTHA). It’s like a mix of fall and winter, but in January. We’ve got very little snow, and it’s already mud season. Still waiting for winter…

On the bright side I got my first AMCO for the state!

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Yeah, same here. There's been a lot of rain.

Here as well. On our local news it said that we’ve had anywhere from 12-15 inches, and they’re still missing some data of rainfall totals (which is about 7-8 inches more than we usually have in winter).

Edited by BirdNrd
  • Like 2

Still missing Canada goose somehow, but I’ve gone up to 14. 
Debating wether or not to make my first excursion of a year a chase for a NHOW that’s near my city. I’ve done lots of sleuthing on the internet trying to get clues to where it is but not getting much (a good thing I guess). I think I have the general area, but that’s still quite a large distance to cover so I’d need a lot of luck. 
I would have the chance of seeing snowy owls and buntings and a few other year birds, so might just be worth it to see those. 
The hard part is convincing someone to go with me so I can be on lookout 24/7 and not have to pay attention to traffic laws.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

Nice!

Thanks. I am trying to get up to 300 this year, and want to get an early start. I have already got some hard birds that I didn't get until late last year or didn't get. The Grasshopper Sparrow was one that I didn't get last year, and the House Wrens and Horned Larks I didn't get until fall last year.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

Thanks. I am trying to get up to 300 this year, and want to get an early start. I have already got some hard birds that I didn't get until late last year or didn't get. The Grasshopper Sparrow was one that I didn't get last year, and the House Wrens and Horned Larks I didn't get until fall last year.

Nice! Only 231 to go, and with so many days left I’m sure you’ll have 300 before 2024

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Birds are cool said:

That's great, and good luck! I'm two weeks ahead of last year as far as hitting 65 species, with several species that I didn't see at all last year (the two geese from this morning, O-crown Warbler, Nashville Warbler). Hopefully that will continue throughout the year and I will see more species than last year.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Snake Fingers said:

Nice! Only 231 to go, and with so many days left I’m sure you’ll have 300 before 2024

I am not so sure. I am only 6 ahead of last year, and 300 is very hard to get in Georgia. Last year, that word have put me in the top 5. If I go to the mountains and Saint Simon's in the spring, and then dooly in the fall, and tybee in the winter I.might be able to pull it off 

• Like 3

I'm up to 71. I went to look for Cackling Goose in my county, but they apparently are at that spot only in early/mid morning. So I'll head back some morning; that would be a county bird for me. And hopefully I'll go look for the Black-throated Gray Warbler during the week.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Peromyscus said:

What sacrifices you make driving to and from college, not taking the most direct route. 😉

Somewhat related: In early 2004, my wife and I were planning for a 5-day trip to Charleston, SC, driving from Maryland. In part because of a wintering Yellow-billed Loon a little ways south of Atlanta, Georgia, the trip became a 9-day trip driving to Miami and birding the Everglades after stops for the loon and for Florida Scrub-Jay. We never went to Charleston that year, though we have been since.

• Like 5